Getting Perspectives from Community Members
Ways to Use this Worksheet
- Use it to help the guide the process for gathering input from community members.
- Use it in conjunction with Appendix II which discusses information gathering techniques which can be used to gather the perspectives of community members.
- Which techniques will you use to gather input form the community?
- Should information gathered to create a statistical profile of the community be shared during the information gathering process with community members?
- What groups should be targeted?
- In what locations and settings should the focus group meetings be held?
- How will you invite focus group participants (letters, telephone, personal contact)?
- What supports and incentives will you provide to encourage people to participate (i.e., child care, transportation, food, prizes)?
- Who will host the meetings?
- Who will facilitate and record the discussions?
- What questions will you ask?
Key Informant Interviews
- Which individuals should be targeted?
- Who will conduct the interviews?
- What questions will be asked?
- Has an interview script been created?
- What outreach efforts will be necessary to interview the "hard-to-reach" individuals?
- What process should be used to randomly select individuals to complete the survey?
- How many community members should receive the survey?
- What questions should be asked?
- What introductory comments will you include in the survey which will tell respondents why they are being requested to complete the survey and what effect their responses will have?
- Who will be responsible/pay for the mail out or delivery?
Community Forums/Public Meetings
- In what location will the meeting be held?
- How will you publicize the meeting?
- What supports and incentives will you provide to encourage people to participate?
- Who will moderate the meeting?
- What will your agenda be and what questions will you ask?
- Who will record the comments?
One Last Question
- Are the questions to be used in the various methods of information gathering consistent?
Adapted from Samuels et al., 1995