Share this page Print

Non emergency calls

911 Needs YOU to know when to call a non-emergency number and not 911

Non-emergency calls to 911 (where the caller does not have an emergency which requires immediate police, fire or medical help) tie up emergency lines making it harder for people who have a real emergency to get through.

Don't call 911 for the following:

  • For medical problems, where life is not in danger, Alberta Health Link can be an excellent resource. If you're not feeling well, but don't have a specific complaint or if you have health questions, the registered nurses at Health Link are trained to help.
    For medical problems, where life is not in danger, call Alberta Health Link at 811.
  • If you need to report a minor accident, stolen or damaged property where there is no suspect in the area, general noise complaints or another non-urgent criminal matters, call the police non-emergency number at 403-266-1234.
  • If you have concerns related to Bylaws call 311 so they can help you.
  • If you want to know where to take old paint and chemicals don't call 911. The fire department has collection sites for old paint and chemicals, as well as Fire Prevention information, all accessible through 311.