The Inglewood Bird Sanctuary in southeast Calgary is a large wildlife reserve with numerous nature trails where over 270 species of birds have been observed. Visit the on-site Nature Centre for exhibits and information on the sanctuary and nature and school programs offered. We also have a small selection of our favourite bird guides available for sale in the Nature Centre.
Note: The Nature Centre will be closed Wednesday, July 3 for maintenance. The Sanctuary will remain open regular hours.
Bookings Nature Programs School Programs Day Camps
||2425 9 Ave. S.E.|
||sunrise to sunset, year-round|
About the park
This 36-hectare wildlife reserve offers more than two kilometers of level walking trails and over 1 km of nature trails, throughout the riverine forest, by the flowing river and alongside a peaceful lagoon.
While spring and summer are prime times for viewing birds, a variety of wildlife can be seen throughout the year. The public is welcome to visit the Sanctuary during daylight hours, year-round but please leave your pets, bicycles, roller blades and bird food at home. Most of the trails are wheelchair and stroller accessible and can be reached from the paved pathway leading from the Nature Centre. Admission is free; however, the Sanctuary gratefully accepts donations.
On your next visit to the Nature Centre, stop in to:
- find out what birds have been seen recently
- discover where some of our common birds migrate to
- learn about local birding hot spots
- check out our informative field guides and colourful pocket guides for sale (prices subject to change).
- The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Western North America, $29.95
- Birds of Alberta, $26.95
- Pocket Naturalist Guide - Alberta Birds, $7.50
- Pocket Naturalist Guide - Calgary Birds, $7.50
Experience nature in the city
The following plant and wildlife species have been observed in the area:
- More than 270 species of birds
- 21 species of mammals
- Two species of amphibians
- Two species of reptiles
- Seven species of fish
- 27 species of butterflies
- 347 species of plants
For more information, please call 3-1-1 (403-268-2489 if calling from outside Calgary), inquire online or email us. The Nature Centre's fax number is 403-221-3775.