Calgary Parks is looking for outgoing, park-loving volunteers who are passionate about nature and love to tell a good story.
What is the Park Interpretive Experience?
The Parks Interpretive Experience (PIE) program places volunteers in our city parks to engage park users in activities and conversations that help illustrate and interpret these special landscapes.
Volunteers use stories, artifacts and short demonstrations to spark curiosity, deliver important management messages, and create a memorable visitor experience. Interpreters answer questions about resident plants and animals, as well as the cultural history of the area, and can direct visitors to other park resources and information.
- Deliver brief, informative, and interactive interpretive activities to visitors.
- Answer visitor questions.
- Direct visitors to further resources.
- Promote upcoming Parks programming.
- Complete shift reports.
- Schedule and report volunteer hours.
- Strong communication skills.
- Comfortable speaking with the public.
- Ability to focus communication around key messages.
- Ability to interact with a wide age range and modify information and presentation style to suit visitor needs.
- Interest in natural and cultural history, desire to increase knowledge.
- Specific knowledge of local plants and animals, ecological and biological concepts, geography, and local cultural history are not required, but would be beneficial.
- Ability to review training resources and background information.
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position.
- Walking on uneven trails.
- Carrying program backpack or pulling program cart.
- Staying outside for 3+ hours.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Attend a three-hour volunteer session.
- Opportunities for additional training may be offered thought the year.
- Six three-hour shifts per year, from June - October.
- Interpretation and education training.
- Natural history.
- Cultural history.
- Meet other volunteers with similar interests.
- Represent the City while interacting and sharing the park with visitors.
- Foster environmental stewardship, attitudes and behaviours in others.
How to apply
If you are interested in volunteering or want to learn more about this program, please call 311, inquire online or email us for more information.