Frank McCool Arena hosts minor and adult ice sport leagues including hockey and ringette. We also offer public skating, including Parent & Child skate and 50+ skate, see the schedules for times. The arena is available for bookings from 6 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week during prime hockey season (October through March), requests outside of these hours will be considered. See the ice rink availability page for last minute ice time. Adjacent to the arena is Frank McCool Athletic Park.
Frank McCool Arena - Walking Map
Frank McCool Arena Renovation - Extended until Summer 2018
This facility has been closed since 2016 to accommodate arena renovations. However, the closure has been extended to the summer of 2018 to allow for more comprehensive upgrades (larger construction scope) that will protect the longevity of this asset while improving the customer experience. This work includes:
- Upgrades to existing change rooms
- Addition of two new flex change rooms
- Relocation of officials change room
- Bleacher replacements
- Addition of a wheelchair accessible viewing platform
- Accessibility improvements to the lobby and public washrooms
- Addition of a new multi-purpose room
- Replacement of exterior building cladding
- Roof replacement
- New efficient fixtures throughout
- Walkway and landscaping improvements
- Needed upgrades to electrical, plumbing, fire suppression and HVAC systems
This extended closure is required to avoid multiple or unexpected closures in the future. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause for citizens and our arena patrons. Drop-in customers are encouraged to attend neighbouring City of Calgary arenas during the closure. For a list of arenas, visit calgary.ca/arenas.
1900 Lake Bonavista Drive S.E. - Map
311 or 403-268-CITY (2489) if calling from outside Calgary
Public Skating and Shinny Hockey schedules
- One 185' x 85' artificial ice surface
- 250 person spectator seating capacity
- One meeting room seating 25 people
- Hot and cold vending machines
For your safety and enjoyment helmets (CSA approved) are strongly recommended for all participants during ice activity and in particular for children and youth.
Looking for more places to skate? Recreation runs 12 Arenas in Calgary.