Who can book a gymnasium?
School gymnasiums are available for public not-for-profit groups and registered *non-profit organizations to use outside of regular school hours.
*Definition of a non-profit organization - An incorporated organization which exists for educational or charitable reasons, and from which its shareholders or trustees do not benefit financially. Any money earned must be retained by the organization and used for its own expenses, operations and programs.
Things to know about booking and using gymnasiums
The City of Calgary Recreation books school gymnasiums for community use on behalf of the Calgary Board of Education (CBE), the Calgary Catholic School District (CCSD), and the Francophone School Board of Southern Alberta (CSSA).
School gymnasiums are available first to existing users who have renewal rights
Once renewal permits have been confirmed, there will be a public day held for each session. Public days allow groups to pick up available gym space for each session. The Fall Public Day is held in June and the Winter/Spring Public Day is held in October. Please refer to Public Day Timelines
for exact dates.
There is no Public Day for the summer session, as space is very limited and has many restrictions.
On Public Day, applications received by minor groups requesting a start and end time between 6 – 8 p.m. will be processed first. These minor groups will have priority for the first two days. Once these priority applications are processed, all other applications will be processed in the order they were received.
New bookings must be submitted a minimum of 14 days prior to the first date requested.
The following are restricted sports and not permitted in schools: floor hockey, lacrosse, ultimate frisbee, ringette, ball hockey, futsal, cricket and bubbleball.
Organizations or individuals booking school space are required to carry general liability insurance in an amount of no less than two million dollars ($2,000,000). It must be inclusive for any one occurrence and such insurance shall name the City of Calgary and the respective school board as additional insured. The insurance must not have a participant's exclusion.
Please refer to the Gymnasium Policies Page
for policies, availability, application/amendment/cancellation forms, payment information.
- Public use of schools must be in accordance with School Board policies for the rented facility and all applicable City of Calgary bylaws, federal and provincial legislation, including Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and Alberta Human Rights Act which prohibit discriminatory conduct. The Permit holders shall not carry on any discriminatory activities, distribute, post or display any statement, publication, notice, sign, symbol, emblem or other representation that indicates discrimination or an intention to discriminate against a person/class of persons or is likely to expose a person/class of persons to hatred or contempt because of the race, religious beliefs, colour, gender, physical disability, mental disability, age, ancestry, place of origin, marital status, source of income, family status or sexual orientation of that person/class of persons.
What are renewal rights?
Renewal rights exist when a group has a booking of 6 consecutive dates at one school for the same time period on the same day of the week. (Example: at least 6 consecutive bookings at one school, Wednesday evenings from 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.) Renewal bookings are based on your organization’s historical school use at each individual school on a session to session basis (Fall renews to Fall, Winter/Spring renews to Winter/Spring, etc).
If you delete several dates from your bookings or during the course of your rental that drop you below 6 consecutive bookings, it will no longer be considered a renewal for future sessions. If your booking is considered a renewal, you will automatically receive a renewal permit the following session. You will not have to apply for the space, and you will be given the option to cancel the renewal permit without charge. There are no renewals for the Summer session.
Public Day - timelines for booking periods & applications
Booking applications can only be processed and confirmed for the current booking session.
- September - December 2017 (Fall Session) - Public Day is June 27, 2017.
- Minor groups will be given priority when applying for gym space on weeknights between the hours of 6-8 pm. These groups are required to submit their applications on June 22 & 23, 2017.
- January - June 2018 (Winter/Spring Session) - Public Day is October 24, 2017.
- Minor groups will be given priority when applying for gym space on weeknights between the hours of 6-8 pm. These groups are required to submit their applications on October 19 & 20, 2017.
- July and August (Summer Session) - No Public Day.
Please contact Facility Bookings for more information.