Before booking a picnic site
The following 9 parks have picnic sites that are available to rent. Please view the Picnic Site Amenities for details on each site's amenities, capacities, fees, power outlets, washroom accessibility and more.
Additional information, maps and park addresses can be found by clicking on the following links:
- Picnic booking season
- Picnic site hours
- Firewood or power availability
- Playgrounds and parking
- BBQ information
- Washroom information
- Accessibility information
Things to know before booking a picnic site
- There is a difference between picnic functions and special event functions at picnic sites.
- Picnics: Sites can be reserved in advance and permit the use of the existing facilities that are at the chosen site. This may include one or more of the following: picnic tables, fire pit, barbeque, pavilion/shelter or power, in an assigned area. Function is strictly limited to picnic-type activities and does not require additional equipment to be brought on site, other than additional backyard propane-fuelled BBQs.
- Special events: These are events that have a greater impact on neighbouring communities than casual or intended park use. They will range in size, but generally involve the use of additional equipment (i.e. tents, inflatables, large solid fuelled BBQs, vehicle access, etc). Please check the Before booking a park, pathway or greenspace page to determine the booking process for your event.
- Dogs are allowed in the park if they are on a leash, or in off-leash areas.
- Alcohol is strictly prohibited in the park and in any public use area.
- Bowness Park cannot be booked on long weekends due to the high volume of citizens using the Park.
- For all parks except Bowness and Prairie Winds, picnic sites are booked in six-hour blocks, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. or 3 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- For booking time slots for Bowness and Prairie Winds, please view the Picnic Sites General Info & FAQ's document.
Ongoing construction at Bowness Park in 2013
Bowness Park is available for picnic activity only in 2013. Special events and festivals cannot be accomodated in 2013 due to the uncertainty of parking, accessibility, etc.
Parking will be more limited than in previous years. Groups cannot be guaranteed that that the parking lot nearest their booked site will be open at time of use and need to be prepared to park further away and walk to picnic sites. Carpooling is strongly encouraged to reduce traffic and avoid possible parking issues.
Due to the above-mentioned parking limitations in 2013, Sites 1, 3, 4 and 5’s maximum capacities have been reduced and site fees adjusted
accordingly on the Picnic Site Amenities
- Customers wishing to bring in bouncy castles, caterers, tents, dunk tanks, BBQs needing vehicle access, etc will need to consider an alternate park site. Use of propane fuelled BBQs are still fine as BBQs can be carried or wheeled in without vehicle access.
- Picnic users must be prepared for impacts such as noise and parking limitations caused by construction. Refunds will not be issued for reasons related to construction activities, after the picnic has occurred. Normal cancellation and inclement weather refunds still apply.
Timelines for booking picnic sites - 2013
- January 7, 2013 - Picnic site public day
- May 18, 2013 - Picnic sites open for the season
- October 14, 2013 - Picnic sites close for the season
- Picnic site bookings for the weekend must be made no later than 12 p.m. on the Wednesday prior to the weekend
- Weekday bookings must be made at least three full business days in between the date of request and the date of booking (i.e. if you wish to book on a Friday, the booking request must be made by Monday).
- Picnic sites can be rented from the May long weekend until the Thanksgiving weekend in October. The exception is site #1 at Bowness Park, which can be booked year-round.
If you have questions or need more information, please contact Facility Bookings.