Athletic parks are available to book for football, baseball, softball, soccer, field hockey, field lacrosse, rugby, track, ultimate frisbee, sports tournaments and special events. An outdoor cycling track is also available to book at Glenmore Athletic Park.
If you want to book an artificial turf field, please visit artificial turf fields bookings.
What facilities and amenities are available?
Please review the athletic park locations and amenities chart to determine which park is suitable for your needs.
Things to know about booking and using athletic parks
- The booking of Athletic Park facilities is available first to priority/renewal users, then to the general public on a first-come, first-served basis. Two Public Days occur each season, one for artificial turf fields and another for all other fields/diamonds, velodrome and track, where available space is released to the general public. Please see Timelines for Booking Periods and Applications for specific public day dates.
- All facility closures due to inclement weather will be determined by athletic park staff. Prior to games, please check the Facility Status Tool for field closures, or phone 311 or the field closure line at 403-268-2300, ext 9855.
- Athletic park staff will notify the Facility Bookings office of any inclement weather/field closures and renters will automatically receive a credit for identified inclement weather closures.
- The facility permit holder (applicant/renter) is expected to adhere to the
conditions of use and regulations governing athletic parks in order to ensure both the safety of participants and the preservation of The City facility. As the permit holder, it is your responsibility to ensure that every player, team official, parent of players (for youth organizations), and spectator is aware of the conditions of use/regulations.
- The City of Calgary has a Zero Tolerance policy regarding the consumption of alcohol at athletic parks.
- Permits are only valid for the date, time and location specified on the reservation receipt. The City of Calgary does not post reservation notices at park or field locations. Permit holders should have a copy of the permit with them at all times. If a non-permitted user is occupying site, please contact City staff if available on site, or call 311.
- Dogs are not permitted at athletic parks.
Booking athletic parks for special events, tournaments and track meets
Special event, tournament and track meet booking requests must be made by submitting an athletic park special event and tournament application form (available on the book an athletic park page). It can take up to 3 business days to process after public day has occurred, and is then sent to the site staff for approval. Upon approval you will be sent a permit.
Special Event, tournament and track meet applicants will be contacted for payment of a $26.25 non-refundable administration fee. Your application will be sent to the appropriate athletic park for review when this fee is paid.
An initial payment of 25% of the total rental cost is due seven (7) days after the permit has been firmed, upon approval of your event. This initial payment is non-refundable. The remaining balance is due 30 days prior to the first booking date on the permit. The application will be reviewed by the athletic park staff, which will provide specific permissions for use of BBQ's, tents, etc. This process can take up to two weeks.
Anyone organizing a special event, tournament or track meet with tents exceeding a combined area of 600 sq feet, requiring open flames or fireworks, or involving roadway/sidewalk closures must contact Event Services for information and booking at (403) 476-4323 or email@example.com no less than 90 days prior to your planned event. Visit planning a festival or event for more information.
*If your event requires any of the following, the athletic park special event and tournament application form must be submitted for approval by athletic park staff.
- BBQ’s (propane only)
- Food sales/service (permit required and provided to the City of Calgary)
- Electrical hook-up
- Liquor Sales/Service (permit required)
- Sound system
- Access to water
- Portisans (portable toilet)
- Tents – must not exceed 600 sq ft
- Stage – must not exceed 600 sq ft
- Banners/Signs to be hung
- Merchandise Sales (type)
Special events, tournaments and track meets do not qualify for automatic renewals.
Applications are accepted all year round, however priority is given for applications submitted by December 1, 2015 for the 2016 season. Applications for special events, tournaments, and track meets received between January 1, 2016 and March 1, 2016 are subject to longer processing times (several weeks) due to renewal season permit processing according to the timelines listed below. Although the regular season runs beginning of April to end of October (depending on facility), applications are still required for groups planning events.
Special event, tournament and track meet applications should be received a minimum of 4 weeks prior to your planned event to allow for processing and approval. Short notice requests will be considered but approval will not be guaranteed, and will be subject to availability.
Special events, tournaments and track meets must be booked as such, and are separate to your regular or renewal booking.
What are renewal rights?
Renewal rights exist when a group has a booking of 10 dates at one facility (specific ball diamond, track or sports field) for the same time period, on the same day of the week, in consecutive weeks. (Example: at least 10 bookings at Shouldice #6, Wednesday evenings from 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. in consecutive weeks.) Renewal bookings are based on your organization’s historical use at each individual facility on a yearly basis.
If you delete dates from your renewal permit during the session resulting in less than 10 bookings, or resulting in your bookings becoming non-consecutive, you may risk losing your renewal rights. It takes 2 years to establish a renewal and 2 years to lose a renewal. This practice allows established renewal groups some flexibility as unforeseen circumstances may arise. If a group falls below the 10 booking minimum for 2 years in a row; the renewal is lost.
New renewals are groups that have qualified for renewal status for the first time. These groups are offered a renewal if there are no operational or historical booking conflicts. Established renewals are groups who have booked a minimum of 2 years in a row. If your booking is considered a renewal, you will automatically receive a renewal permit the following session. You will not have to apply for the space, and you will be given the option to cancel the renewal permit without charge.