The City of Calgary is committed to making its website available to all Calgarians, including
citizens with visual or hearing impairments. Calgary.ca follows the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
and offers the following features and tools to ensure the site is fully accessible. If you have any questions or concerns regarding accessibility, please contact The City of Calgary
Your preferred screen reader can better navigate through The City's website. Because calgary.ca is search-based, you will notice these features on all pages:
- Home - Links to the homepage are located both in The City of Calgary logo at the top and in the bottom footer
- Help - located at the bottom of the page
- Search bar - a prominent search is located at the top of every page. You can enter keywords or phrases here to find what you're looking for.
- Search tips - helpful information offering search advice is located in the bottom footer and on the left side of the screen.
- Site structure - Located on the Quick Links at the bottom of the screen, this link opens the site map, providing the option to navigate the site using the corporate hierarchy.
- eServices - A comprehensive list of all online services offered by The City of Calgary.
Once you leave the homepage, a breadcrumb link ("You are at:") will show where in the site structure your page is located. All links to documents and external websites will open in a new window or tab. In the case of links to third party City-run websites, a disclaimer will be provided advising that you are leaving the calgary.ca domain. When submitting a form, you will be advised of any input errors. Those with visual impairments will have the ability to use audio CAPTCHA when entering text into a security field.
Page titles are descriptive, and headlines, as well as linked text assist in using calgary.ca without confusion.
Calgary.ca is designed using CSS and offers a consistent look and feel across all web pages. Please note the following style features:
- Calgary.ca can be navigated with a keyboard using the tab key.
- The background is fully distinguished from the foreground.
- Text size and image to text ratio meet all WCAG standards.
- Table cells are set apart from each other by distinct shading and are created using relative values to account for different browsers.
- Frames are not used.
Images and multimedia
In instances where videos and images are used, alternative text is provided. Captions are also available on City of Calgary YouTube videos. When filling out a form, audio CAPTCHA is available for filling out the security features.
Browser and device compatibility
Calgary.ca is designed to be compatible with the following browsers and devices:
- Internet Explorer 7 and 8
- Mozilla Firefox versions 3.5 and up
- Google Chrome 12 and above
- Safari 5
- Apple iPhone Operating System 3 and above
- Android Operating System 2.3 and above
- BlackBerry Operating System 5 and above
Note: Site may work with other devices such as Apple iPad and BlackBerry PlayBook but it is not optimized for these devices.
If you're having trouble reading calgary.ca, your browser may allow you to change the colour or font size of text content on our web pages.
Still need assistance? Visit help or fill out our additional help form to have step-by-step instructions immediately emailed to you.