The following calculator estimates your revenue neutral taxes before Council approves the budget and the property tax bylaw, and your actual taxes once the budget and tax rate is approved.
For annexed properties or properties with split assessment classes, please contact Assessment at 403-268-2888.
2017 Property and Business Tax Calculator
*This calculator provides estimates based on City of Calgary property and business tax rates only.
It cannot be used if your property is taxed using a property tax rate for a different municipality. For additional assessment-related information, contact Assessment at 403-268-2888
. Call 311 for more information regarding property or business taxes.
How does revenue neutral work?
The City of Calgary's revenue neutral policy ensures that:
- Tax revenues do not change automatically with assessment changes due to market fluctuations.
- Any tax change brought forward by The City is communicated through the budgetary process.
With each year's assessment roll, a revenue neutral tax rate is established based on the application of these principles.
An increase or decrease in your property assessment does not mean your taxes will automatically go up or down by the same amount. The assessment process determines the assessment values for all properties, which in-turn determines the distribution of municipal taxes.
Compared, approximately, to the city-wide typical per cent change, if a property's year-to-year per cent change in assessment is:
- Less — that property's revenue neutral taxes will decrease.
- The same — that property's revenue neutral taxes will stay about the same.
- More — that property's revenue neutral taxes will increase.