Share this page Print

Hot tubs, pools & ponds


Outdoor hot tubs, swimming pools and ponds.

Need help? Chat with us. We can help guide you through your home improvement project and assist you with:

  • Determining what permits you might require.
  • Offering solutions or alternatives.
  • Transitioning you smoothly through the application process.

When is a permit required?

Typically, any hot tub, pool, pond, or similar project does not require a permit if it is shallower than 0.6m (2’-0”).

In most situations, your project will only require a building safety approval (building permit) and an electrical permit. If your design or location does not meet land use bylaw specifications you will also require planning approval (development permit).

How to apply

Step 1: Review the application checklist

Use the Pool, hot tub and pond permit checklist to determine the application and drawing requirements for your project.

Step 2: Prepare your application

To help you design your project, see the building code and City bylaw information section.


Planning Approval - Development Permit (prior to construction)

Permit fee Advertising fee Development Completion Inspection Total
Proposed land use bylaw relaxation for a hot tub, pool, or pond $384 $32 $163 $579

See the planning applications fee schedule for a complete list of planning application fees.

Building Safety Approval - Building Permit

Permit fee Safety Codes Council Fee (4%) Total
New Hot Tub $202 $8.08 $210.08
New Pool $202 $8.08 $210.08
New Pond $202 $8.08 $210.08
Renovation to an existing hot tub, pool, or pond $202 $8.08 $210.08

See the building permit fee schedule for a complete list of building permit application fees.

Step 3: Apply

Apply online

To apply in person, complete the home improvement application and visit the planning services centre with the documents from the checklist in step 1. To skip the line, book an appointment online.

Building code and bylaw information

Note: It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the work being carried out conforms to any restrictive covenants, caveats or other restrictions that are registered on the land title.

Illustrations of codes and bylaws

Sample drawings for building permits and development permits for hot tubs and swimming pools.

Note: you will also have to provide a copy of the manufacturer’s installation specifications.


Location of hot tubs and swimming pools

Hot tubs and swimming pools are required to be 1.2 m from side and rear property lines and may not be located in the actual front setback without a development permit.

There can be no wires over a hot tub, unless it is covered by an overhead structure. Any existing overhead wiring is required to be clear of any hot tub or swimming pool 5.0 m vertically and 5.0 m horizontally.

Hot tub distance from property lines
Hot tub distance from property lines

Hot tubs located on a deck/patio

If a hot tub is supported by a structure that elevates the floor of the hot tub above grade, such as a deck or patio, an engineer’s stamp is required, regardless of the height of the structure.

Hot tubs located in a gazebo

If you’re putting your hot tub in a gazebo that is more than 10 m2, or if the height of the gazebo floor is more than 0.6 m above ground level, the gazebo must have its own approved building permit.

If you plan to enclose a hot tub in a covered structure, such as a gazebo, accessory residential building rules will apply. Any covered structure over 10 m2 in floor area will require a building permit. Any covered structure with a finished floor 0.6 m or more above grade will require an approved development permit.

Building code requirements for swimming pools and hot tubs

As per Alberta Building Code, the water depth of a hot tub should not be more than 1.2 m measured from the hot tub floor to the water surface. The depth of water to a seat or bench in a whirlpool must not be more than 0.6 m.

Please see Form S: Swimming pools/Hot tubs for in-depth information on the building code requirements for the installation of pools and hot tubs. Please note that permanently installed, in-ground hot tubs and swimming pools must be wired by a qualified electrical contractor.

Additional inquiries about building, plumbing, gas, electrical or heating, ventilation and air conditioning code or construction methods, building safety and fire regulations, please contact the Technical Assistance Centre. For all other inquiries (i.e. Land Use Bylaw), please contact our Planning Services Centre.

Inspection Information

All inspections for residential construction, electrical, plumbing and gas fireplace installation permits can be booked online using our 311 app or When choosing the service type, scroll down to Inspection and choose your project. You will need to provide your permit number, address and contact information.

Generally, your project will require a rough-in and a final inspection for each building and trade permit pulled, though additional inspections may be required. You can contact 311 on the morning of your inspection to find out if it will be in the morning or afternoon.

The inspection process is dynamic and an inspection outcome depends on the chosen construction method and site conditions at time of inspection. The information provided is not intended as an exhaustive list but a generalized outline of the inspection process.

Inspections for building permits

Final inspection

Hot tubs:

  • The hot tub must be ready to use.
  • A cover constructed in conformance with ASTM F1346 and the lockable device must be installed


  • The pool must be ready to use.
  • Complete the fence and gates or cover constructed conformance with ASTM F1346 with the lockable device must be installed. The fence and gate requirements are listed on Form S: Swimming pools/Hot tubs.

Inspections for electrical permits

Please visit Inspections for the required tasks that must be completed prior to rough-in and final inspection of your project.

Call before you dig

Always call Alberta One Call before you dig: 1-800-242-3447. For more information or to submit a locate request, visit Alberta One-Call.

Disclaimer: This information has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various bylaws, codes and regulations currently in effect. The City of Calgary accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information. Web pages are updated periodically.