Share this page Print

Establishing a residential parking zone

Apply for residential parking permit Renew residential parking permit Parking bylaws & fines


Residential parking permits are issued by the Calgary Parking Authority. Visit their website to see if you require a residential parking pass or for information on applying for or renewing a parking permit.

For information on parking bylaws, fines and enforcement, visit the Calgary Parking Authority.

How to establish a new residential parking permit zone

You can check to see if you’re in an existing residential parking permit zone using the residential parking zone map.

If you do not live in an existing zone, here is how you request one for parking in your residential area:

  1. Contact your community association or City Councilor with your request.
  2. The community association or the Councilor’s office will contact the Transportation Department with the request. in a formalized letter to:

    Traffic Engineering Division
    P.O. Box 2100 Station M, #4008
    Calgary, Alberta
    T2P 2M5.

  3. A parking survey will be conducted to determine if the area meets one or more of the following zoning criteria:
    • Adjacent to a 5,000 vehicle trips per day generator, e.g., hospitals, educational institutions.
    • A minimum zone size of 10 blocks and 70 per cent of the vehicles are non-resident.
  4. The Transportation and Transit Committee (T&T) and City Council must approve an amendment to the Traffic Bylaw prior to establishing a zone. If approved, the community is designated a Residential Parking Permit Zone.
  5. Residents must then request implementation and enforcement by requesting and then conducting a City of Calgary official petition of individual blocks. Call 311 to request a Residential Parking Permit Zone Petition.

Making changes to existing Residential Parking Zone signs

Residential parking zone signIf you live in an existing Residential Parking Permit Zone and wish to request or make changes to parking restriction street signs:

  1. Contact 311 and request a Residential Parking Signs Petition.
    Request a Residential Parking Sign Petition
    Note: Choose Residential Parking as the Nature of Concern
  2. The petition will be mailed to you.
  3. The petition must be completed with 80% agreement from residents on that block.
  4. Only one restriction per block is allowed. 
  5. Mail the completed petition to The City as per the instructions on the petition package.
  6. The City will review the petition and implement the requested parking restrictions.

Signs must be in place for at least 18 months before further changes to restrictions can be requested.