To construct bleachers for events like Calgary Stampede Parade, Heritage Days, or the Lilac festival, a permit must be issued.
How to apply
The annual application for bleacher seating must include the following information:
- Name, address, telephone number and contact person of the company or organization requesting the space for bleacher-style seating.
- A plan showing the construction details of the bleachers, which has been signed stamped by a professional engineer (structural) licensed to practice in Alberta.
- Specific locations and length in lineal metres where bleachers will be installed.
- Certificate of general liability insurance in the amount of two million dollars ($2,000,000) naming The City of Calgary as additionally insured.
February 28 of each year is the cut-off date for submitting a bleacher permit application. Permits are issued by May 1.
If you need help or additional explanation when using the ePermits website, please see the ePermits frequently asked questions for more information.
The following rules apply for the installation of bleachers:
- Only 20 per cent of the parade route is permitted to have bleacher seating.
- No bleachers may be installed in front of surface parking lots, at Transit bus stops and zones and in front of construction sites.
- The bleachers must be 0.3 metres away from the edge of the curb. There must be one metre of space between the back of the bleachers and the building behind
The cost of the bleachers permit is $25 (plus GST) for the application fee and $3 (plus GST) per lineal metre for use of sidewalk.