Community association signs are temporary, portable signs, often with fluorescent lettering which are placed along the city’s roadways. The purpose of these signs is specifically for the promotion of Community Association events and meetings, and/or information about The City of Calgary’s services, operations and public safety.
These signs are only permitted for up to a maximum of fourteen days, and are subject to enforcement if found in violation of the Temporary Signs Bylaw.
How to apply
This permit must be submitted by a Community Association.
A sign permit cannot be obtained if the following apply:
- it obstructs a traffic control device
- is lit or electrified
- is a hazard or dangerous to vehicular or pedestrian traffic
- is inflatable
- is within 30 metres of an intersection
- is within two metres of a curb or edge of any road
- is permanently affixed
- is supported by string, rope, wire or metal stakes
- has a Sign face larger than three square metres
Please visit the Bylaws related to signage page for more information about signage bylaws.
Roads prohibited for Community Association signs
- Anderson Road
- Barlow Trail
- Beddington Trail
- Blackfoot Trail
- Bow Traill
- Bowness Rd N.W.
- Centre Street North
- Country Hills Boulevard
- Crowchild Trail
- Deerfoot Trail
- Elbow Drive
- Glenmore Trail
- John Laurie Boulevard
- Marquis of Lorne Trail
- Macleod Trail
- McKnight Boulevard
- Memorial Drive
- Nosehill Drive
- Parkdale Boulevard N.W.
- Sarcee Trail south of the Trans Canada Highway
- Shaganappi Trail
- Southland Drive
- Stoney Trail
- 3 Avenue North from Parkdale Boulevard to Bowness Road
- 14 Street West
- 16 Avenue North/Trans Canada Highway
- 17 Avenue South, east of Deerfoot Trail
- 36 Street East
- 52 Street East from 17 Avenue South to McKnight Boulevard
- 68 Street East from 17 Avenue South to the northern City boundary
- 85 Street N.W.
There is no fee to submit an application for the community association signs permit.
Election Campaign signs
Election signs have certain exemptions from our Temporary Signs Bylaw. For information on these exemptions, please visit the election signs page
Community Sign Request Form
Temporary Signs Bylaw 29M97