What we do
Utilities & Environmental Protection (UEP) protects public health and the environment and helps all employees work safely. UEP delivers integrated programs, services and facilities focusing on the environment, public health and workplace safety.
UEP leads the City of Calgary
for workplace health and safety and environmental performance. Through developing corporate safety and environmental policies and implementing the Corporate Safety, UEP supports all City departments to continually improve safety performance and manage environmental risk.
Approved UEP Business Plan and Budget 2015-2018
The Utilities & Environmental Protection department includes four City business units:
What services do we provide?
- Waste & Recycling Services (WRS)
- Water Resources and Water Services (Utilities)
- Environmental & Safety Management (ESM)
Waste & Recycling Services (WRS)
- Collection Services collects residential waste and recycling (black, blue and green cart service), some commercial waste, operates the Community Recycling Depots, community clean-ups, and festivals and events.
Disposal & Processing Services
- Disposal & Processing Services manages the operations of The City's three active waste management facilities (landfills) as well as inactive landfills to protect public health and the environment.
Infrastructure & Program Management
- Infrastructure & Program Management develops and manages waste diversion programs and provides infrastructure planning, project delivery and asset management to Waste & Recycling Services.
- Strategic Services provides strategic planning services to support maximum waste diversion in all sectors (single-family, multi-family, construction & demolition, and industrial, commercial & institutional) within Waste & Recycling Services.
Back to top
Water Resources and Water Services (Utilities)
Utilities Strategic Services
- Strategic Services develops and implements plans and policies to address risks and opportunities related to water resource management.
- Infrastructure Planning handles the planning and asset management for water, wastewater, and stormwater infrastructure and river systems.
- Infrastructure Delivery delivers project management, engineering and inspection services for water, wastewater and drainage infrastructure projects.
Water Quality Services
- Water Quality Services provides analytical, monitoring and technical expertise to The City, the general public, and external partners.
Utilities Construction Services
- Construction Services handles construction, repair and replacement of the linear water distribution, wastewater collection and drainage systems.
- Field Services operates and maintains the water distribution, wastewater collection and drainage systems.
- Water Treatment does the treatment and distribution of our drinking water.
- Wastewater Treatment does
collection and treatment of wastewater, and management of Biosolids.
Back to top
Environmental & Safety Management (ESM)
Environmental Programs & Services
- Environmental Programs & Services works to improve The City's environmental performance, manages corporate risks and liabilities related to contaminated sites, and enables citizens to reduce their environmental impact to air quality, energy use and through reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
Safety Programs & Services
- Safety Programs & Services promotes employee safety in all City operations in accordance with legislative requirements and standards.
- Strategic Services supports The City's environmental and safety commitments by planning, budgeting, assessing risk, auditing and reporting on progress.
Back to top