The City of Calgary uses collection trucks with mechanical arms to pick up blue and black carts. The mechanical arms need space to reach, grab and lift the carts. To make sure your carts are collected quickly and safely, they need to be properly placed.
How do I set out my garbage and recycling?
- Garbage can either be bagged or loose in your black cart.
Recyclables must be put loose inside your blue cart. See preparing your cart for tips.
- Set out black and blue carts by 7 a.m. on your collection day and no earlier than 7 p.m. the evening before.
- Point arrows on the lid toward centre of road or lane.
- Leave enough space to walk between and around your carts so there's enough room for the automated arms on the trucks to work safely.
- Pull your empty carts back in by 7 p.m.
Video: Tips for placing your blue and black cart
Follow these quick steps to get ready for collection day