Electronics like televisions, computers and printers can be recycled in Calgary in an environmentally sound and safe way instead of being buried in the landfill.
Below you will find more information about our electronics recycling program. For a list of what items can be accepted and drop-off locations, visit Electronics Recycling in Calgary.
For more information about Calgary's electronics recycling program, contact 311. For more information about Alberta's electronics recycling program, contact the Alberta Recycling Management Authority at 1-888-999-8762.
Why is electronics recycling important?
- Is the fastest growing type of waste in North America.
- Does not decompose in landfill sites.
- Is a valuable resource - 300 per cent richer in precious metal than virgin ore
- Has hazardous, yet highly recyclable material (An average computer contains as much as four pounds of lead)
Can I recycle electronics that still work?
The City's electronics recycling program is for end-of-life items that would otherwise end up in the landfill.
If you have electronics that still work, they can be donated or reused - look for "Recycling Centres and Services" or "Computer Dealers-Used" in the Yellow Pages. You can also find more reuse options in Electronics - What Goes Where.
Please note: Make sure to remove all your personal information from computer hard drives and other storage media before donating for reuse.
What can we do with electronics?
- Reduce - Many reusable parts can be used to refurbish other equipment. Reduce what goes into the landfill and buy refurbished equipment.
- Reuse - Many electronics still work even if they are outdated. They can either be sold or even given away to benefit not-for-profit groups.
- Recycle - All kinds of metals, glass and other materials can be used from electronic waste for recycling.
Can businesses use the electronic recycling depots?
Contact the Alberta Recycling Management Authority at 1-888-999-8762 for a list of registered recyclers.
What is the electronics environmental fee?
The Alberta Recycling Management Authority (ARMA) manages Canada's first province-wide end-of-life electronics recycling program. Since Feb. 1, 2005, consumers have paid an environmental fee on new purchases of TVs, computers and related electronic equipment.
Municipalities across Alberta, including Calgary, receive a share of the fees collected to subsidize the cost of collecting, transporting and recycling designated electronics like TVs and computers.
These fees range from $5 to $45, and subsidize the collection, transportation and recycling of old and unusable equipment. For a list of rates and more information on this program, visit the Alberta Recycling Management Authority or call toll-free at 1-888-999-8762.
What is the environmental fee for new TVs?
The environmental fee for new TVs is as follows:
- Less than 19-inch screen: $15
- 19-inch to less than 30-inch screen: $25
- 30-inch to less than 46-inch screen: $30
- 46-inch and larger screen: $45
Municipalities across Alberta, including Calgary, receive a share of the fees collected to subsidize the cost of collecting, transporting, and recycling designated electronics like TVs and computers.
The environmental fees for other electronics can be found by contacting the Alberta Recycling Management Authority at 1-888-999-8762 or by e-mail at email@example.com.