All food and yard waste can go in the green cart, including many materials that can't be used for backyard composting. Download a list of YES materials.
You can also learn more about how to dispose of waste on our Using Your Green Cart page.
Yes! All these items can go in your green cart
Meat, fish, shellfish and bones
Bread, noodles, rice, beans and grains
Eggshells and dairy products
Jams, sauces, salad dressings and cooking oil
Pastries, cookies, cakes and muffins
Nuts, seeds, chips, popcorn and candy
Coffee filters and tea bags
Branches and pruning
15 cm in diameter)
*We encourage residents to leave grass clippings on the lawn. Clippings will quickly decompose returning valuable nutrients to the soil. Leaving the clippings on the lawn saves you time and is less work than placing them in the green cart.
Pet fur, hair or feathers
Animal bedding (e.g. from pet cages)
Wooden popsicle sticks and toothpicks
NO! These items should not go in your green cart
A few items cannot go in your green bin:
- No plastic, oxo-biodegradable or biodegradable bags. Only use certified compostable bags, sheets of old newspaper/flyers or paper bags to line your kitchen pail.
- No food or beverage packaging
- No fruit or vegetable stickers
- No compostable plates, cups and utensils
- No diapers, feminine hygiene products or sanitary wipes
Unsure of what can be composted? Use our fast and easy What Goes Where search tool to look up your item and we'll tell you where it goes.