Share this page Print

Cross Connection Control Program

In Calgary, some homes and businesses have cross connection devices at their properties. This device prevents water that has been used for washing, heating and cooling from flowing into our drinking water.

The City of Calgary oversees annual testing and compliance of these devices in order to protect Calgary's drinking water supply from contamination.

Seasonal Irrigation Note:

As per the Water Utility Bylaw section 39.3e: "A test must be performed at the time the system is turned on at the beginning of each irrigation season."

I have received a cross connection testing letter

If you have received a letter, you need to have your cross connection device tested by a certified tester who is registered with the City of Calgary.

After testing is completed, the tester should submit the report to our office in 30 days. Follow up with your tester to ensure the report has been filed with us and that you have received a copy of the test report.

If you want to check if we received your report, or require an extension or are no longer the owner or occupant of the address listed in the letter, please contact 311 or submit an online service request.

Cross connection resources

For more information about cross connection devices, home owner and business responsibilities, and certifications and renewals for cross connection testers, please visit the resources below:

For more information on cross connection guidelines, view the Water Utility Bylaw, the National Plumbing Code and the Canadian Standards Association B64 Series Standards.

You can also find answers to common cross connection questions in our freqently asked questions.

If you have other questions for the program team, please contact 311 or submit an online service request. A team representative will respond to you within five business days.