The Bonnybrook Wastewater Treatment Plant is the largest of our wastewater treatment plants, with a capacity to treat wastewater for about one million people.
There has been an increase in the amount of wastewater that needs to be treated as Calgary and surrounding regions have grown significantly in recent years.
About the project
To meet increased demand, the plant requires upgrades to increase the treatment capacity. Some enhancements are also being done to improve long-term environmental performance. We are investing in a number of infrastructure improvements at the plant through 2022.
Upgrades to the plant includes lifecycle replacements of equipment, upgrades to improve energy efficiency and environmental performance, expansion of treatment capacity through the addition of new infrastructure, as well as a flood resiliency component to prevent river backup into the plant during high water events.
Phase one: October to December 2016
To protect the plant from a potential future flooding event, we are constructing a flood protection berm as part of the upgrades and expansion.
In the first phase, we will alter the landscape east of the plant. This work will take place between October and December 2016.
This work includes: tree clearing and surface stripping, removal of an abandoned pipeline, and the installation of stormwater drainage utilities.
During this time, there will be the following:
- A temporary redirection of the bike path under Ogden Road bridge. The need for the temporary bike path is approximately five days.
- Limited access to the river bank between CP Rail’s Bonnybrook Bridge and the Calf Robe bridge from October to December 31, 2016.
Phase two: April 18 - December 31, 2016
Temporary closure of a portion of 15 Street S.E.
The second phase of construction for the flood protection berm will begin in spring 2017. This work includes: construction of the berm, landscaping, and construction of a new bike path adjacent to and extending the length of the plant.
- Construction work will require the closure of a portion of 15 Street S.E. to excavate along 15 Street.
- The closure will be in place between April 18 to December 31, 2016.
Construction will take place from 2015 to 2022. Design completion is expected in mid-2017. Staggered design and construction starts are noted below:
- Digester upgrades to begin in summer 2016.
- Underground utility work to begin fall 2016.
- Flood protection berm work to begin fall 2016.
For general inquiries please call 311. For media inquiries please call 403-828-2954 or email email@example.com