Share this page Print

Employee benefits

​Please note: Annual benefits enrolment is here and now available online!

You should have received your annual benefits enrolment information in the mail recently. Check your current benefit levels and make changes in myHRconnect. You can also contact HR Support Services for support. You have until Dec. 16 to submit changes. The enrolment period in 2018 was extended due to the postal disruption. See the relevant section below for details.

Information about benefit plan coverage for City employees.

City employees are provided benefit coverage under the Municipal Employees Benefit Association of Calgary (MEBAC) benefits program which includes life and disability, as well as health and dental coverage for you and your dependents including:


  • Prescription drugs
  • Vision care
  • Paramedical practitioners
  • Emergency travel

Payroll deductions for employee contributions to the benefit plan and deductions for pension plans, Canada Pension Plan (CPP) and Employment Insurance (EI) are updated each year, and the 2018 changes are now available.

Popular resources

Coordinating benefits

If you have benefit coverage under more than one benefit plan (e.g. through your spouse's plan) you can submit expenses under both plans to receive up to 100% coverage.

How to coordinate benefits if:

Changing you coverage level

Health and dental coverage levels can only be changed during the benefit enrolment period. This year, the window for change is November 19 and December 9, 2018. You should receive information on this in your home mail.

Review your levels: If you are happy with your current plan, you do not need to take action, however, you should still review your package as MEBAC negotiated benefits this effective January 1, 2019. There are some enhancements and a new product to consider, Optional Critical Illness Insurance.

To remind yourself of your current benefit levels login to myHRconnect and look under myBenefits. Use the benefits enrolment brochure to see what other levels offer. 


To make a change: If you want to change your levels within the annual benefit enrolment period, go to myHRconnect > myBenefits and click on "Life Events." Follow the steps for enrolment. You have until Dec. 9 to submit the changes to your coverage. Think carefully though, as Dental Level 1 and 3 have a two-year commitment that cannot be changed until the next eligible enrolment period.

For new employees: Enrolment may also take place throughout the year for newly hired employees, those in recall/rehire positions or for temporary employees who moved into a permanent position.

Changing dependents

Employees with access to myHRconnect​ can add and remove dependents from their plan or declare student status by logging in and clicking on the “myBenefits” tab, then clicking on the “Life Events” button (top right of page). Employees without access to myHRconnect can request changes by calling 403-268-5800.

Municipal Employees Benefit Association of Calgary

Municipal Employees Benefit Association of Calgary(MEBAC) manages and administers employee contributions to The City of Calgary employee benefits plan. It also partners and negotiates with The City on changes to benefits. Keep up-to-date on your benefits and read the Benefit Newsletter.

Employee wellness

Employees can access programs and services that support their health and well-being such as the Employee & Family Assistance Program(EFAP) or sign up for a fitness class, the Active Living Program, health screening clinics and more. Visit the Wellness sitefor details.

Getting help

Benefit plan questions

Questions or concerns about your extended health benefit coverage or claims? Contact Green Shield customer service, Monday to Friday 6:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.

HR Support Services

Speak to an HR Support Services representative for help with questions about benefits and pensions.