Ward Sutherland is in his first term as Councillor for Ward 1. He holds 25 years of senior leadership and management in top-tier companies and 16 years as a volunteer in Ward 1. As the past president of the Rocky Ridge Royal Oak Community Association, he has established a track record of positive outcomes across various levels of government. In 2013, he received the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal for his service to the community.
Councillor Sutherland brings to City Council his fiscally accountable approach to spending, which he has demonstrated by showing consistent achievement and management of multi-million dollar financial corporate budgets. As Vice Chair of Priorities and Finance, Councillor Sutherland’s main areas of focus are the financial management of The City and reducing property taxes. He has driven the improved process of zero base reviews of departments to include pure costing of delivering services and process. As a strong believer of accountability, he communicates with constituents with monthly detailed newsletters and a yearly report of outcomes.
Councillor Sutherland is a member of the following committees:
- Standing Policy Committee – Planning & Urban Development
- Standing Policy Committee - Utilities & Corporate Services
- Priorities and Finance Committee – Vice-Chair
- Land & Asset Strategy Committee
- Calgary Police Commission
- Calgary Economic Development
- Calgary Regional Partnership/Sub-Committee – Economic Prosperity
- Silvera for Seniors
- Culture Plan for Calgary Steering Committee
This content represents the personal views and opinions of the Councillor and should not be taken as a statement of policy of The City of Calgary. The inclusion of any external content does not imply endorsement by The City of Calgary.