Updated September 29, 2015
We have a number of bylaws related to garbage and trash. Below is a summary based on the most common questions we receive from Calgarians:
- Garbage bags, containers, and their contents must weigh no more than 20 kg (44 lbs.) combined.
- Yard waste must not be tied in bundles more than 1.25 metres (4 feet) in length.
- Garbage should be set out by 7 a.m. on your collection day, but not before 7 p.m. the day before and be removed no later than 7 p.m. on collection day.
- Sharp objects must be packaged in a puncture resistant, non-breakable container with a tight fitting lid before being placed in a container or a plastic garbage bag.
- All waste must be placed in proper garbage containers with handles and lids (max. 100 litres), or in a standard plastic garbage bag.
- Garbage must not accumulate on your property.
- Owners/occupants are responsible for maintaining their property in a tidy condition.
- Collector's access to the garbage collection site must not be blocked.
- All material transported to the landfill must be covered or secured in transit.
- Garbage must not be burned.
- Medical waste, animal waste, sawdust and powdered materials must be packaged and securely tied in double plastic garbage bags.
- Hazardous waste, biochemical waste, dead animals, tires, automobile parts, furniture and liquids must not be set out for residential garbage collection.
All material transported to the landfill must be covered or secured in transit
Fines for violations of these regulations range between $125 and $1,000.
This page is an overview of these regulations. Please refer to the actual bylaw for more detailed information. Original copies of the bylaw are available at the City Clerk's office
Filing a complaint
How to file a complaint and what happens to it
If you know of a bylaw infraction and would like to report it to Animal & Bylaw Services, please call 311 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary).
Search our bylaws