Information | Rezoning for Housing

Public hearing on April 22, 2024. Proposed rezoning will support more housing options in all communities.

Learn more

Filing a complaint with Calgary Community Standards

To contact us for general bylaw information, questions or to report a bylaw infraction by phone:

  • please call 311 from within Calgary
  • please call 403-268-CITY (2489) from outside Calgary

Online services are available for the following:

Have the following information ready before calling

To help us respond faster, please be ready with the following information:

  • Your name and address.
  • A primary and alternate phone number.
  • The address and exact location of the property for which you wish to register a complaint.
  • A brief and concise description of the complaint.

This information will remain confidential. No anonymous complaints will be accepted - you must identify yourself to the 311 service representative.

Complaints registered with 311 are assigned a file number and forwarded to a peace officer, who will investigate the complaint. Due to the high volume of complaints registered and limited City resources, it can take several days before an initial visit occurs. Complaints are handled on a priority basis. Priority is given to complaints with a serious public safety implication.

The enforcement procedure depends upon the type of infraction

  1. Public safety hazards are assigned to City crews or an appropriate contractor to resolve the issue in a timely manner.
  2. Private property owners who commit infractions are issued a Remedial Order giving them 14 days to solve the problem. After 14 days, a peace officer will visit the property, and if the problem has not been solved, a Notice of Corrective Action will be issued and City crews or contracted personnel will complete the work and the property owner is invoiced for the cost of the service (see the Community Standards Bylaw for more information).
  3. For animal infractions, the officer may issue a Warning Ticket asking the owner to comply with the bylaw, or a Violation Ticket with an associated penalty.

Logging recurring issues and bylaw complaints for 311

At times, citizens experience recurring issues with bylaw infractions with neighbours or elsewhere in their neighbourhood or community.

When recurring issues happen, make sure you note:

  • the issue.
  • the date or dates the issue occurred.
  • the specific location where it occurred.
  • the specific details about the issue.

This information should be provided as part of the complaint to assist bylaw officers in investigating your complaint.

If there are several people in the area experiencing the same issue, this information can also help bylaw officers to identify root causes of issues, and broader issues that may require a response coordinated across several business areas of The City.

​​ ​​​​