Updated April 15, 2016
The Parks & Pathways Bylaw contains regulations to help make our parks and pathways more safe and enjoyable for everyone. The following is an overview and the complete document is available for download Parks & Pathways Bylaw.
Violations of this bylaw are subject to fines ranging between $50 and $500.
- Stay on designated trails.
- Do not litter.
- Do not disturb or feed wildlife, including birds.
- Do not use motorized vehicles (with the exception of powered wheelchairs).
- Find park locations, amenities and more on the City of Calgary Parks map.
You must obey posted signs, as they are there to alert you to important rules and regulations. These rules were designed for your safety and security.
- The speed limit along the pathways is 20 km per hour, unless otherwise posted.
- Respect the rights of others.
- Stay to the right side of the pathway except when passing.
- Do not pass in sections with a double yellow line.
- When on a bicycle, use a bell, whistle or horn when passing others.
- Yield to the right of way.
- Everyone, including walkers and joggers, must be visible to other pathway users.
- Download the new Pathways & Bikeways App to access more information and a map of Calgary pathways and bikeways on the go.
- It is law that all youth under 18, must wear a CSA, ATM or Snell-approved helmet.
- Make sure your bike is equipped with at least one working brake and a bell, horn or other alerting device.
- If you’re riding your bike at night, it must have at least one red taillight, one white headlight and one red reflector mounted at the rear.
- We recommend you wear an approved helmet, elbow and wrist protectors and knee pads.
- Poles are not permitted on the pathways.
- If you’re in-line skating at night, you must have clear or red lights affixed to your body or clothing that are visible from both the front and back.
Trees and plants
- It is illegal to prune or remove a tree on City land.
- Leave the park the way you found it. Don't collect plant or animal material or cause damage to a park.
- All dogs must be on a leash that is no more than 2 metres long.
- All dogs must be on a leash unless in a designated, signed off-leash area.
- Pick up your dog's waste.
- Dogs must stay on the right side of the pathway unless passing.
- You cannot cycle or in-line skate on a pathway with a leashed dog.
- All dogs must be under their owner's control in an off-leash area. This means they must respond to sign and sound commands.
- Download the City of Calgary Pets App to access more information on the go.
Calgary's parks and pathways are regulated by the Parks & Pathways Bylaw.
This page is an overview of these regulations. Original copies of the bylaw are available at the City Clerks office.
Filing a complaint
How to file a complaint and what happens to it
If you know of a bylaw infraction and would like to report it, please call 311 or, if you’re outside the city, 403-268-CITY (2489). You can also report it online or through the 311 App.
Search our bylaws
To learn about other Calgary bylaws, search by topic here.