Share this page Print

Bylaws related to sewers

The bylaws related sewers deal with appropriate water use and drainage in and around your property. For more details please refer to theDrainage Bylaw 37M2005 as well as theWastewater Bylaw 14M2012 which contain an overview of these regulations. Original copy of the bylaws are available at the City Clerk's office.

For more information about bylaws related to sewers you may also read theGood Neighbour Practices References Guide and theYard and Perimeter Maintenance guide.

An overview of bylaws related to sewers

Prohibited material

It is an offence to allow any prohibited material into the Storm Drainage System. Examples of prohibited materials include: soil, waste, animal waste, cooking oils, greases, gasoline, motor oil, solvents, paint, cement, sawdust, yard waste, pesticides, biomedical waste, hazardous waste, soaps, odorous materials, detergents and water from hot tubs.

Directing storm drainage

Downspouts and eaves troughs must not terminate within 2 meters of a surface drainage facility (unless located in a side yard) or a street, which includes alleys and lanes. Further information regarding directing of downspouts can be found in theCommunity Standards Bylaw 5M2004.

Surface drainage facilities

It is a requirement to keep surface drainage facilities on private property (known as "Overland Drainage Right-of-Way" (ODRW) including swales and catch basins/drains) clear of any soil, silt, yard waste or any other matter that may obstruct, restrict or prevent the flow of water. Buildings or structures cannot be constructed or placed on or over the surface drainage facility. If a fence must be built over the facility, there must be at least 6 inches of clearance between the facility and the bottom of the fence.

Use of storm drainage

The use of any storm drainage for activities such as construction or irrigation purposes is prohibited without the written consent of the Director of Resources.

Fines for violations of these regulations range between $300 and $3,000 for the first offence.

Filing a complaint

If you know of a bylaw infraction and would like to report it to Animal & Bylaw Services, please call 3-1-1 (from within Calgary) or 403-268-CITY (2489) (from outside Calgary).