Olympic Plaza is a beautiful destination place for downtown Calgary workers during lunch hour. The plaza was built in 1988 for the Olympic Winter Games and has the only refridgerated outdoor ice surface in the city.
Location: 228 8 Ave. S.E.
Area: 1.2 hectares
Park hours: 6 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Book this park
While visiting Olympic Plaza, please remember that the following is not permitted:
- Bicycles, skateboards or rollerblades
- Dogs or other pets
- After hours activities
- Reflecting pond
- Ice skating
- Famous Five sculpture
- Large seating area
- Washroom (year round)
- Seasonal concession (independently operated)
- Olympic bricks, sold to the public to commemorate the 1988 Olympics, maps of individual brick locations are available at the Information Kiosk in City Hall
Winter ice skating at Olympic Plaza
- Open late November to mid March
- Hours of operation: 10 a.m. - 9 p.m. daily
- Skating is free of charge - skate rental not available
- Hockey sticks, toboggans, sleds & strollers are not permitted on the ice
- Helmets are strongly encouraged
About the park
Olympic Plaza was built in 1988 for the Olympic Winter Games in Calgary as the site of the medal presentation ceremonies and now hosts many special events & festivals throughout the year. It is also a wonderful place to sit and enjoy your lunch during the noon hour.