Edworthy Park sits in a valley along the Bow River in southwest Calgary and includes the majestic Douglas Fir Trail and historical Lawrey Gardens.
Note: Caragana removal is occurring in Edworthy Park to increase the biodiversity of existing native tree stands.
Location: 5050 Spruce Dr. S.W. (Bow Tr. & Spruce Dr. S.W.)
Area: 169 hectares
Park hours: 5 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Book this park
- Picnic sites
- Picnic shelters
- Firepits and BBQ stands
- Picnic tables
- Off-leash areas
- Public washroom (seasonal)
About the park
Bordered by the Bow River and the community of Wildwood, Edworthy Park is a large diverse park that makes it a year-round destination. Edworthy Park includes the natural areas of Douglas Fir Trail and Lawrey Gardens.
Edworthy Park was once a part of the Cochrane Ranch and was eventually purchased by Thomas Edworthy in 1883. Along side his neighbour John Lawrey, Edworthy established a profitable garden market that supplied fresh fruit and vegetables to railway crews and homesteaders. In later years, after discovering sandstone on his property, he operated sandstone quarries for the construction of many buildings in Calgary. The land was purchased by the City in 1962 for the development of a park.