Donate it - Local charities
Many local charities accept donations of usable clothes and shoes.
Donate it - City of Calgary Throw 'N' Go
Remember: Don't put clothing and textiles in your blue cart. These items cannot be recovered at the recycling facility and instead jam up sorting machines.
The drop boxes at Throw 'n' Go areas
accept a variety of textiles, in any condition, for reuse or recycling, including:
- Underwear and outerwear (e.g. coats)
- Shoes and footwear
- Purses, backpacks, suitcases and luggage, wallets, and belts
- Household linens (e.g. bedding, towels, curtains, pillows, tea towels, duvets and blankets)
- Reusable shopping bags (e.g. grocery store bags, Lulu-lemon bags)
- Accessories like hats, mittens, and scarves
Please place your items inside a bag and place the bag inside the drop box at the Throw 'n' Go. This helps keep the clothing dry and makes it easier to collect.
What happens to the materials you donate?
The clothing and textiles we collect are sorted and graded depending on their condition. Any reusable clothing is sent for resale to retailers internationally.
If the item isn't reusable, it can still be recycled. Textile recyclers turn old clothing, shoes and fabrics into new products. Materials are sorted, cleaned and can be turned into wiping rags or shredded down for upholstery stuffing or fiber recycling.
Proceeds from the revenues of recycled textiles support the charity Haiti Arise