Caution | Outdoor water restrictions in effect

Stage 2 Outdoor Water Restrictions are in effect. Learn more about what you can do during this stage.

Learn more
Elections Calgary

How to register a Third Party Advertiser

All Third Party Advertisers (TPAs) engaging in election advertising must adhere to the following requirements as set out by the Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA) Part 8.


To register a TPA with Elections Calgary:

1. Form 27 - Registration of a Third Party

  • Complete Form 27 - Registration of a Third Party.
  • For groups and corporations, include a list of principal officer(s) or principal members.
  • If the TPA has a governing body (e.g. a board of directors), the application must include a copy of the resolution passed by the governing body authorizing the third party to incur election advertising expenses.

2. Third Party Advertiser Information Consent Form

Complete the Third Party Advertiser Information Consent Form.

3. Send registration information to Elections Calgary

Changes to a registration

TPAs must notify Elections Calgary in writing (email is acceptable) of any changes to the required information within 30 days after the change.

Email the details of the change to 

Name restrictions

As per LAEA section 163, a TPA will not be allowed to register if its proposed name or abbreviations of the name:

  • Resembles the name of a registered TPA.
  • Resembles the name or nick name of a candidate active in Calgary or anywhere in the province.
  • Resembles the name of a registered TPA whose registration was cancelled or changed since the last election.

Third parties ineligible to register (LAEA section 163)

Third parties ineligible to register are:

  • A corporation that does not carry out business in Alberta.
  • An individual who is not ordinarily a resident in Alberta.
  • A trade union or employee organization that is not an Alberta trade union or Alberta employee organization.
  • A prohibited corporation (as defined in the Election Finances and Contributions Disclosure Act Section 1(1)(l)).
  • A group where any member is one of the above.
  • A registered charity.

Advertising in more than 10 local jurisdictions

As per LAEA section 163, a TPA engaging (or intending to engage) in election advertising in more than 10 local jurisdictions, must register with the Provincial Registrar.

Advertising related to provincial entities

TPAs engaging in advertising related to provincial entities (i.e. MLAs, provincial political parties, provincial elections, Alberta Senate elections) or provincial referendum questions must register with Elections Alberta.

For more information about Elections Alberta TPA requirements, visit Elections Alberta Third Party Advertisers.

Note: The information on this page is provided for convenience of reference only. All third party advertisers are subject to further requirements in the Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA). Third party advertisers are advised to refer to the LAEA and obtain legal advice regarding the full extent of their obligations.