A number of awards are available to members of the Calgary Police Service and citizens who have made an extraordinary contribution to the CPS. The most significant of these awards are the Chief’s awards.
All citizens honoured with a Chief’s Award are presented with the Award of Exceptional Recognition, which recognizes an outstanding act of courage or the rendering of valuable assistance to the CPS in the preservation of law and order.
Sworn and civilian members of the CPS may be honoured with awards in several categories. These include:
- The Boyd Davidson Memorial Award is presented in memory of Detective Boyd Davidson, who was killed in the line of duty in 1974, in recognition of an outstanding act of courage and heroism. It was presented for the first time at the 1998 Chief’s Awards.
- The Award of Valour recognizes an act of valour where a police service member was at substantial risk of injury or death while attempting to preserve the life of another.
- The Life Saving Award recognizes an act beyond that which would reasonably be expected and in which the person saves or attempts to save the life of another.
- The Award of Excellence recognizes exemplary performance through diligence, sustained effort and sound judgment, which demonstrates the core values and goals of the CPS.
- The Community Service Award recognizes outstanding continual volunteer efforts which positively impact the community, not connected with police duties.
- The Community Policing Award recognizes an outstanding contribution to the quality of life in the community.
- The Leadership Award recognizes initiative in leading a team or a group to a significant accomplishment which positively impacts the community and the CPS.
- Team Citation recognizes exemplary team performance or achievement through diligence, sustained effort and sound judgment which contributes to the quality of life in the community or enhances the capacity of the Service, while exemplifying the core values of the Service.
Nominations can be made by anyone for sworn officers, civilian members of CPS, or members of the public. For further information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.