Jogging safety tips
Jogging is a great way to enjoy the fresh air and get exercise, but joggers can be targets of a criminal attack for a variety of reasons. They often become so preoccupied with their physical activity that they fail to be alert and pay attention to their surroundings.
If you're a jogger, stay safe and secure with these tips:
- jog with a friend if you can
- jog in a well-lit, well-traveled, familiar area
- do not wear headphones; they limit your ability to hear an offender and make you less aware of your surroundings
- do not jog after dark
- wear bright colored clothing to make you visible to motorists
- carry a personal safety alarm and a flashlight
- carry a cell phone or enough change to make a phone call at a pay phone
If you are being harassed or think you are being followed, go to the nearest open business a trustworthy neighbour’s house to call the police.