Vehicle safety tips
It's important to take safety seriously no matter where you are - even if you're in your vehicle. These tips will help prevent you from being a victim of a vehicle crime.
Staying safe while driving
- Know your route and have a map handy.
- Lock your car doors once you are inside. If you unroll your windows, keep them high enough to prevent someone from reaching inside.
- When stopped at a red light, be aware of your surroundings.
If your car breaks down
- Try to stay on the shoulder of the road, away from the flow of traffic.
- Turn on the vehicle’s emergency flashers. Your vehicle can be difficult to see, especially in the dark winter months.
- Remain inside your locked car and indicate to anyone that stops that you have called for help.
- Carry a cellphone to call for help.
- Park in a well-lit, well-travelled area that you are familiar with.
- Keep your purse or other valuables (Christmas gifts) out of sight in a locked trunk or compartment.
- Lock your car when leaving it.
- Upon returning, have your keys in your hand, and be ready to open the door.
- Look inside the car, around the car and under the car prior to getting in.