Calgary's Asia community consists of members with cultural roots from countries such as China, Vietnam, Japan, Korea, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Brunei, East Timor and the Philippines. Although these Asian countries are close geographically, each is unique and rich in history, religion and culture.
The Asia liaison officer provides a vital link between police and Asian communities by enhancing communication. The liaison officer acts as a resource to educate and create awareness between police and Calgary's diverse Asian communities. The liaison officer also meets with community members to learn more about their customs and culture, and actively participates in cultural events and celebrations.
The Asia liaison officer is also involved in community events, such as the Chinatown Street Festival and Chinatown Stampede Breakfast.
The Diversity Resource Team strives to improve awareness and understanding, both within the Calgary Police Service and between Calgary’s diverse communities. In doing so, they are dedicated operationally and philosophically to community-based policing. The team promotes a professional police image by demonstrating impartial service and by offering friendship to all members of the public within the Asian community.
In achieving this goal of improving awareness and understanding, and providing better service to the community, the Asia Diversity Advisory Board was formed in 2011. The advisory board provides advice to the Calgary Police Service to:
- Promote effective two-way communication
- Promote education and awareness
- Identify and resolve crime and safety concerns
- Increase police awareness specific to the community-based issues
Resources for the Asian community
- Chinatown Calgary
- Calgary Chinese Elderly Citizens' Association
- Pangasinan Society of Calgary
- Sien Lok Society of Calgary
- Calgary Malaysian Singaporean and Bruneian Community Association
- Calgary Taiwanese Canadian Association
- Alberta Thai-Canadian Association
- Calgary Chinese Cultural Centre
Email the liaison for the Asia community or contact by phone at 403-428-8164.
Email the chair for the Asia Advisory Board.