Victim resources - Death and bereavement
The death of a family member or someone close to you may be one of the most painful events of your life. You may experience devastating emotional feelings, as well as physical reactions and financial stressors.
Counselling resources for adults
- The Grief Support Program provides individual and group grief counseling.
The Compassionate Friends of Canada, Inc
- Peer support for those experiencing the death of a child.
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) Calgary
Telephone: 403-265-SIDS (7437)
- Peer support for those losing a child to SIDS
Suicide - Suicide Services Bereavement Support - Calgary Mental Health Association
Telephone: 403-297-1744, TTY: 403-270-8920
24-hour line: 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)
- Crisis and support line for those who have lost someone to suicide or those having suicidal thoughts
24-hour crisis line: 403-266-HELP (4357)
- 24-hour information and support
- Access to free counseling services for individuals, groups and families
24-hour crisis line: 403-264-8336 (TEEN)
- 24-hour Information and support for teens
- Peer support 5 - 10 p.m. daily, online or over the phone
Calgary Counselling Centre
Telephone: 403-691-5991 (business hours)
- Long term counseling for individuals, families or couples
Eastside Family Counseling Centre
24-hour crisis line: 403-269-9699
Address: 255, 495 36 St. N.E., Northgate Mall
- No fee - immediate walk-in counseling for youth, individuals and families
- Monday to Thursday 11 a.m. - 7 p.m., Friday 11 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Saturday 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Grief Recovery After a Substance Passing (Calgary)
- Peer Support Recovery For Those Who Have Lost A Loved One To Substance Use
Counselling resources for children and youth
- Professional grief and trauma counsellors specialize in child and teen friendly techniques that build resilience and renew hope.
Kids Help Phone
24-hour crisis line: 1-800-688-6868
- 24-hour online and counseling available for those 5-20 years old
Resources for investigations
Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
- Information and the role of the Medical Examiner’s Office
Canada Pension Plan
- The death benefit is a one-time payment to, or on behalf of, the estate of a deceased Canada Pension Plan contributor;
- The survivor's pension is a monthly pension paid to the surviving spouse or common-law partner of a deceased contributor;
- The children's benefit is a monthly benefit for dependent children of a deceased contributor.
- You must complete an application form.
Alberta Family and Social Services
Telephone: 310-0000 toll-free in Alberta
- In the province of Alberta, no one is ever denied the dignity of a funeral. If a family is unable to pay, the government department of Alberta Family and Social Services can provide assistance for basic funeral services, a casket, and cemetery or cremation fees.