Multi Agency School Support Team (MASST)
The MASST program facilitates the early identification of high-risk behavior and the delivery of prevention and intervention services to children from five to 12 years old.
Each MASST team consists of a police officer and a registered social worker working closely with the city of Calgary school boards.
Risk factors addressed by MASST
MASST addresses the following risk factors in youth:
- Exhibiting behavior which puts them at risk for negative, possibly criminal patterns of behaviour or victimization into teen years.
- Pattern of victimization at school or in the community.
- Seeking recognition and belonging from negative influences.
- Parents may require extra family supports.
- Sibling or parent may be/have been involved in the justice system.
- Limited attachment to the community.
The role of MASST is to intervene and connect clients to existing social resources. These referrals are done on a case-by-case basis. MASST currently addresses risk factors at the child, family and community levels. The focus of the program is on children while educating parents and inviting the family into an active role. MASST gives families a good understanding of their risks of victimization and criminal involvement.
Referrals to MASST come through existing Calgary Board of Education and Calgary Catholic School District area processes. Parents are encouraged to speak with their school and schools are encouraged to speak with their area specialists. For more information on MASST, please email the MASST team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403-428-5808
Thank you to our generous sponsors: