Information for candidates running in the next General Election on Monday, October 18, 2021. You can run as a candidate for mayor, councillor or school board trustee (public or separate). Sign up for the Elections Calgary eNewsletter for candidate updates.
Nomination papers must be filed with Elections Calgary between January 4 and September 20, 2021, at noon.
Nominations are now closed for the 2021 General Election.
The Elections Calgary eNewsletter has information for candidates, third party advertisers, job-seekers and the public.
Important dates for candidates
Monday, January 4, 2021 - Nomination period opens
First day of nomination period.
- Nomination period is January 4 to noon September 20, 2021.
- Candidates can file their nominations papers for mayor councillor, and school board trusteee anytime during the nomination period.
- Nomination papers will be accepted via mail or in-person (by appointment only).
Monday, September 20, 2021 - Nomination Day
Last day to file nomination papers. Deadline is 12 p.m. (noon).
Tuesday, September 21, 2021 - Withdrawal deadline
Deadline for candidates to withdraw nominations or change office
- Deadline is 12 p.m. (noon).
- Notice to withdraw must be in writing to the returning officer. Statement of withdrawal by candidate form.
- Any acclamations will be announced.
Monday, October 18, 2021 - Election Day
Note: The information on this website is provided for the convenience of reference only. Candidates are subject to further requirements in the Local Authorities Election Act. Candidates are advised to refer to the LAEA and obtain legal advice regarding the full extent of their obligations.