Information for candidates running in the next General Election on Monday, October 18, 2021. You can run as a candidate for mayor, councillor or school board trustee (public or separate). Sign up for the Elections Calgary eNewsletter for candidate updates.
Nomination papers must be filed with Elections Calgary between January 4 and September 20, 2021, at noon.
Nomination papers can be filed by mail or in-person by appointment. For more information on filing nomination papers, see submit your nomination.
The Elections Calgary eNewsletter has information for candidates, third party advertisers, job-seekers and the public.
Monday, January 4, 2021
First day of the nomination period
- Nomination period is January 4 to noon on September 20, 2021.
- Candidates can file their nomination papers for the mayor, councillor and school board trustee anytime during the nomination period.
- Nomination papers will be accepted via mail or in-person (by appointment only).
Monday, September 20, 2021
- Last day to file nomination papers. Deadline is 12 p.m. (noon).
- Campaign signs placed on the side of roads or on City of Calgary boulevards are allowed after close of nomination.
Tuesday, September 21, 2021
Deadline for candidates to withdraw nominations or change office
- Deadline is 12 p.m. (noon).
- Notice to withdraw must be in writing to the returning officer. Statement of withdrawal by candidate form.
- Any acclamations will be announced.
Monday, October 18, 2021
Note: The information on this website is provided for the convenience of reference only. Candidates are subject to further requirements in the Local Authorities Election Act. Candidates are advised to refer to the LAEA and obtain legal advice regarding the full extent of their obligations.