Caution | Outdoor water restrictions in effect

Stage 3 outdoor water restrictions are in effect. Learn more about how City services are impacted and what you can do during this stage.

Learn more
Calgary Police Service

A traffic collision occurs when a motor vehicle contacts another object on a highway (See Section 2 of the Alberta Traffic Safety Act for the definition of a highway). Another object can be, but is not limited to, another motor vehicle, a bicycle, a pedestrian, or a fixed object (street sign, light pole, etc). Download a printable collision checklist to keep in your vehicle.

When should I report a traffic collision? 
A collision must be reported to police when there are any injuries, damage exceeds $5,000 or you are the victim of a hit and run. 

How do I report a traffic collision?
There are two ways to report a collision:

  1. If there are injuries or one or more of the vehicles is un-drivable call 403-266-1234 or 9-1-1.
  2. If there are no injuries and the vehicles are drivable, the collision can be reported at any district office.

To complete a collision report at a district office, attend your local office with the vehicle involved and the person who was driving. The following documents are required:

  • Operator’s License for the person who was driving;
  • certificate of registration for the motor vehicle involved (registration form); and,
  • proof of financial responsibility for the vehicle involved (proof of insurance).

You should also bring all the information of the other vehicle involved in the collision. Collision reports can not be reported online.

What do I do if someone refuses to give me their details after an accident?
Advise them that they are required by law to provide information regardless of fault. If they still refuse contact the Calgary Police Service. If the person is impaired or belligerent, contact 9-1-1. For all other cases, call the non-emergency number at 403-266-1234 to report. Make detailed notes of the person and the vehicle involved. Note or photograph the license plate of the other vehicle involved. 

What do I do if someone hits me and runs?
 Hit and run incidents need to be reported to the Calgary Police Service. If you are operating your vehicle and involved in a hit and run try to obtain:

  • the plate of the vehicle;
  • the vehicle description;
  • a driver description; and,
  • last direction of travel of the vehicle.

Do not attempt to follow the vehicle for this can bring your safety and that of the public at risk. When it is safe to do so, pull over and contact the Calgary Police Service. 

What do I do if I see a hit and run?
Leave a note if the incident is an unattended motor vehicle or property damage. If the incident is more severe in nature call 9-1-1 and report it immediately to the Calgary Police Service or contact Crime Stoppers

Does it help to have independent witnesses following an accident?
Yes. Independent witnesses can add much needed and non biased information. This information is very helpful in determining the sequence of events. 

Do I need to stay at the scene following an accident?
The duties of a driver involved in a collision are defined in Section 69 of the Alberta Traffic Safety Act. Collision scenes are dangerous. Drivers need to make sure the scene can be made safe as soon as possible. This can be achieved by removing their vehicles from the roadway. If there are no injuries, when applicable, they should move their vehicles off the road to a safe location to exchange information. 

Do I need a collision sticker?
A collision sticker is required by law when damage exceeds $2,000 dollars. Damage stickers inform the police that the collision has been reported and allows for auto-body shops to repair the damaged motor vehicle. Collision stickers are not required when damage was caused by vandalism. 

The police gave me an "A-Form." What is it and what do I need to do with it?
An "A-Form" is an Alberta Collision Report Form. This is a standard form across Alberta for the reporting of vehicle collisions. You will receive a copy of the top portion of the form. This is for your own records. The rest of the form is used by the province to statistically gather information involving collisions. For more information on " what to do after an auto collision," visit the Government of Alberta’s website. 

Can footage from intersection cameras be used as evidence for a collision investigation?
The Photo Enforcement Cameras operated by the Calgary Police Service at intersections are not video cameras and only take photographs when violations are detected. Intersection cameras operated by The City of Calgary are for monitoring traffic flow and are typically not recorded. Any questions regarding these cameras should be directed to The City of Calgary

What does my insurance company need to know?
The Province of Alberta currently uses private insurance companies to deal with vehicle collisions. These insurance companies operate within their own protocol. In collisions where damage exceeds $2,000 dollars they will generally need a police report file number along with a brief description of what occurred. Taking photos of the collision scene may be beneficial to both you and your insurance company. 

How can I, or my insurance company, get a copy of my collision report?
If you are involved in a collision, the police officer who took the report will provide you with your case # and a copy of your driver/witness statement. To obtain your completed driver’s copy of the Alberta Collision Report Form:

Go to and follow the instructions on the website.

Ensure that you have the Police File Number (located on the top right-hand corner of your completed Driver/Witness Statement Form). If your collision is not found, it may be because the responding officer has not yet completed the Collision Report Form. Please be patient and try again later. If the collision report is still not on the website within 7 days, contact the officer that responded to your collision.

If you do not have access to a computer and/or printer, you can attend any police station in Calgary and obtain a paper copy of the Collision Report Form. You will need to bring your copy of the Driver/Witness Statement Form or the Police File Number along with one piece of Government Issued photo identification to present to the police officer.

If you require more information, a Calgary Police Service collision report can be purchased through the Correspondence Unit. Contact 403-428-5922 or for more information or visit FOIP access requests > Information released by Correspondence Unit​

Where can I find a list of typical traffic offences and their associated demerits?
Moving violations under the Traffic Safety Act have demerit points associated to them. The Traffic Safety Act Demerit Point Program and Service of Documents Regulations is the legislation that states how the program works and how many demerit points’ specific offences carry. Refer to "Schedule 1" starting on page 12 of the act for a list. Who sets the fine amounts for tickets?

  • Traffic Safety Act fines are set by the Provincial Government.
  • Municipal Bylaw fines are set by The City of Calgary.

How can I prevent being involved in a traffic collision?
There are several steps you can take to prevent a collision.

  • Be physically and mentally alert while driving.
  • Pay attention to the vehicles around you.
  • Avoid distractions like cell phones or other hand held electronic devices.
  • Allow for plenty of space to stop.
  • Pay attention to what is occurring on the roadway ahead of the vehicle in front of you.
  • Know your route.
  • If you need to make a turn or take an exit, be in the appropriate lane prior to the intersection or interchange.
  • If weather conditions are poor reduce your speed and increase space for stopping.

For more information on safety driving tips, review The Basic Licence Driver’s Handbook by Alberta Transportation. Pedestrians, make sure to look both ways when crossing the street, do not assume vehicles will stop for you even if you have the right of way and are within a crosswalk.​​


In an emergency always call 911

Non-emergency 403-266-1234