Foothills & McMahon Concept Plan
The City of Calgary, in partnership with the University of Calgary, has created a Concept Plan for the City-owned Foothills Athletic Park and University-owned McMahon Stadium lands. The Concept Plan provides a roadmap for the future development of the site that reflects the needs of its users and the community. The vision was created based on input from stakeholder groups and the public; sign up to stay informed.
About the Project
The Concept Plan
The project created a vision for the lands that recognizes the tremendous opportunity of a
- potential new fieldhouse,
- improvements to McMahon stadium,
- entertainment focused mixed-use district anchored by sports facilities, and
- pedestrian-friendly area with a mix of residential, commercial, cultural, or institutional uses.
This vision was achieved through a design process supported by several technical studies along with stakeholder groups and public engagement. The mission of the project was to create a vision and plan that integrates into and enhances surrounding areas, meets Calgarians’ recreation goals, and explores the significant economic development opportunity of this site.
The plan area is located immediately south of the University of Calgary, and is bounded by Crowchild trail to the east, University Drive to the west, and 16th Avenue SW to the south. The site is ideally located at major cross-roads, along the Blue Line LRT, and between the University of Calgary and McMahon Stadium. It is an enduring home of recreational and competitive sport and is used by the entire city.
The City of Calgary owns the north portion, and the University of Calgary owns the southern portion, where the existing McMahon stadium currently resides. As a significant landowner within, and to the north of the plan area, the University of Calgary worked collaboratively with The City to complete the Concept Plan, which was rounded out by a comprehensive stakeholder and public engagement process. The City has prioritized building a fieldhouse on the City-owned site which will redefine how people use the site. The Concept Plan engagement process only considered the location of the fieldhouse and how it interfaces with the surrounding site rather than detailing the building design. To learn more about the fieldhouse project, please visit the dedicated webpage.
While the athletic park and McMahon Lands are still heavily used, most of the buildings and facilities either need to be refurbished or demolished due to their age and condition.
- September 2020 – March 2021 – Preliminary site investigation and Existing Conditions Report
- January to March 2021 – Assessment of baseline conditions through technical analysis and preliminary stakeholder engagement
- March 2021 – Pre-charrette public input and survey
- April 2021 – Development of preliminary design concept to inform charrette engagement process
- April 12-23, 2021 – Virtual design charrette and subject matter expert input
- May 2021 – Development of near final design concept
- May 2021 – Post-charrette feedback survey on design concept
- May 2021 – Engagement summary is prepared and shared publicly
- July 2021 – Council review and approval of development concept and engagement findings and project decision
- Foothills + McMahon Concept Plan - September 2021
- Social Return on Investment (SROI) Analysis of the Final Foothills + McMahon Concept Plan
- Foothills Athletic Park and McMahon Lands Redevelopment Project, Road Map
- Concept Plan, 2010
- Foothills Athletic Park Redevelopment Advisory Committee (FAPRAC)
- FAPRAC Terms of Reference