We’re making way for the Green Line in Ogden.
Construction began in July 2023 to prepare for the Green Line in Ogden. Before building the station and tracks, a pedestrian tunnel will be constructed near 72 Avenue S.E., a vehicle tunnel will be built at 78 Avenue S.E., and a portion of 78 Avenue S.E. will be upgraded. Once the tunnel at 78 Avenue S.E. is complete and open to traffic, the vehicle crossing at 69 Avenue S.E. will be permanently closed. Calgary-based company, Graham Construction, has been selected to build this project.
Why does this work need to be done?
This is an Early Works project, which means it is completed before construction of Green Line tracks and stations begins. Doing this work now will enhance transportation safety in the vicinity and will help manage project timelines and risks for future Green Line construction, allowing it to be completed more efficiently.
Construction started in July 2023 and is expected to last for approximately two years, until summer 2025.
Details about the construction work in Ogden
- Two new embankments will be built on the west side of the existing CPKC tracks. One embankment will be built at 72 Avenue S.E. and a second embankment will be built at 78 Avenue S.E. The embankments will be used for temporary CPKC Rail tracks during construction.
- A retaining wall will be built along a portion of the alleyway near 76 Avenue and 27 Street S.E. to maintain alleyway access and City services.
- A bridge structure and vehicle tunnel will be built to extend 78 Avenue S.E. east, under the CPKC Rail tracks.
East side of CPKC Rail tracks
- A roundabout will be built on the east side of the tunnel, which will connect 78 Avenue S.E. to Ogden Dale Road, allowing trucks and other heavy vehicles to turnaround without entering the community.
West side of CPKC Rail tracks
- 78 Avenue roadway will be upgraded to include a multi-use pathway and two-way vehicle movement.
- Once open, 78 Avenue will become an access road between Ogden and the industrial area east of the CPKC Rail tracks.
- 78 Avenue S.E. will not be designated as a truck route.
- A pedestrian tunnel near 72 Avenue S.E. will be built to connect the future Ogden Station to Ogden Dale Road S.E.
- This tunnel will remain closed until the Ogden station opens.
- Once construction at 78 Avenue is complete and open to traffic, 69 Avenue S.E. at the CPKC tracks will be closed permanently.
- 78 Avenue S.E. will become the new connection between Ogden Road and Ogden Dale Road S.E.
What to expect
The 78 Avenue Project is a significant undertaking and will have multiple impacts in the community:
- Construction materials will be stockpiled in select areas within the community.
- While the embankments are under construction, there will be a steady flow of heavy trucks hauling material to the construction site.
- There will be an increase in heavy trucks in the community traveling to and from the construction site.
- Construction can be noisy, and vibrations may be felt by those nearby during work hours.
- While mitigations will be in place, there may be dust, soil, and debris in the area.
View page 9 of the presentation materials from the public information sessions to see how Green Line is managing the impacts of construction in the community.
Safety is our top priority. Green Line is working closely with the community in Ogden to ensure a safe construction site for the residents and construction workers. In response to previous community engagement, the following will be put in place:
- Construction site will be completely fenced.
- The playground at 78 Avenue and 26a Street S.E. will be fenced along 78 Avenue S.E.
- 30 km/hour playground zone has been installed on 78 Avenue S.E.
- Work will abide by the City of Calgary’s Community Standards Bylaw.
Further safety precautions will be introduced. View page 10 of the presentation materials from the public information sessions to see the complete list of safety precautions in place.