Road and lane closures due to Green Line construction
There are two major projects that will impact vehicle traffic in the Downtown and Beltline from mid August until the end of 2023.
- 5 Avenue S.W. - Three lane closure
- 11 Avenue and 4 Street S.E. - Intersection closure
5 Avenue S.W. - Three lane closure
- August 14 – late September*
The three middle lanes of 5 Avenue between 2 and 3 Street S.W. will be closed for a deep excavation of underground utilities. The current infrastructure is in the way of the future Green Line underground tunnel, and this project will move it to a new location.
The project will require a 7m deep excavation in the middle of 5 Avenue S.W. Crews will be working extended shifts on weekends when traffic downtown is minimal to complete this work as quickly as possible. As a result, Tuesdays will be the construction crew’s day off. Although there will be no activity on site on Tuesdays, the lanes must remain closed due to the large open excavation site, which cannot be temporarily covered.
This project has three phases, although the most disruptive will be the Phase 1 closure of three lanes on 5 Avenue S.W.
|Phase 1||Three middle lanes closed on 5 Avenue S.W.||Weekday work complete. Upcoming weekend closure Oct 20-23, Oct 27-30, Nov 10-13*|
|Phase 2||3 Street closed between 5 and 6 Avenues S.W.||Sept 25 – October 17 (closed on same dates as Phase 1 weekends)*|
|Phase 3||Two lanes closed on 6 Avenue S.W.||October 6 – mid-November. Full closure Oct 6-10, Oct 13-16, Nov 3-6*|
11 Avenue and 4 Street S.E. - Intersection closure
- August 12 - late 2023*
The intersection of 11 Avenue and 4 Street S.E. will be closed to upgrade deep underground utilities, effectively closing the 4 Street S.E. underpass to vehicles until late 2023. Pedestrian and cycling access will be maintained, as will local access to residential buildings and businesses. This work will eliminate conflicts between utilities and the future underground alignment of the Green Line LRT.
For best access to events at/near the Saddledome, Calgarians are encouraged to:
- Leave extra time to get to events
- Access the area by transit
- Enter Stampede Park at 25 Ave S.E. where construction is less impactful
- Park at Platform Innovation Centre and Parkade on 9 Ave S.E.
- Avoid the closure at the 4 St S.E. Underpass – take the 4 Ave flyover through downtown to 1 St S.E./Macleod Trail S instead of 9 Ave S.E.
- Park at the 11 Ave S.E. Lot – access the lot via 12 Ave and 5 St S.E.
- View The Culture + Entertainment District Access Map for real-time construction and access updates
For more information, view the Construction Notice.
Categories: Project update