How to safely dispose of mercury thermometers
Safely dispose thermometers for free at a household hazardous waste drop-off location:
- Designated fire hall
- City landfill Throw 'n' Go area
- If you bring with other garbage, landfill charges will apply.
- Put thermometer in a non-breakable sealed container (e.g. plastic bleach bottle).
- Clearly label the bottle "thermometer or mercury".
- Call 911 if a thermometer, thermostat or wall-mounted blood pressure cuff is broken and mercury is released.
Locations and hours are listed below: