How to compost yard and garden waste
Put all yard waste into your green cart for composting, including:
- Cones (all conifers - pine, spruce, etc.)
- Plants and flowers
- Branches, twigs, hedge prunings - must be less than 15 centimetres in diameter and 1.25 metres in length to fit in the green cart
- Grass clippings, sod
- Untreated mulch (including coloured/dyed)
- Pine needles
- Tree fruits like crab apples
- Rhubarb leaves
- Tree trimmings
Fill your green cart first. If your green cart is full:
- Place yard waste in paper yard waste bags. Make sure bags are rolled up and can be easily lifted.
- Set bags at least 0.5 m (2 ft) to the side of your green cart. Do not lean bags on the cart or on top of the cart lid.
- For larger quantities of yard waste, take to a City landfill for composting. Charges may apply - learn more at calgary.ca/yardwaste. Note: sod is not accepted for composting at City landfills.
During the busy yard season, we will collect material inside green carts, but may limit the number of yard waste bags we pick up to make sure everyone gets service.