Share this page Print

Plumbing and gas permits

On Feb.1, 2017, the 2015 edition of the National Plumbing Code will come into effect on all plumbing installations in Calgary. All permits issued on or after this date must meet the code requirements. For further information, please submit an online inquiry or contact 311 to speak with one of our safety codes officers.

All plumbing and gas installations and renovations require permits. Homeowners may apply for all permit types; however, a homeowner applying for a gas permit must be an Alberta certified journeyman gasfitter and may only work on a single family residential home. The applicant must reside, or intend to reside, at the work location and must apply in person with proof of qualifications. We’re committed to providing you with a timely response on your permit application.

Download our homeowner plumbing guide​​, for more detailed information on plumbing installations. Please keep in mind the information is only a guide and, as a homeowner, you must have a basic knowledge of plumbing systems to take on any installations or renovations. 

Technical Assistance Centre

The City’s Technical Assistance Centre can answer many common plumbing and gas quest​ions. Submit an online inquiry or contact 311 to speak with one of our safety codes officers about code requirements, to complete your project correctly and safely.

Requesting an inspection

Book an inspection by contacting 311 or using your online VISTA account. Requests for an insp​ection the following day must be made by 2 p.m. You can contact 311 on the morning of your inspection to find out if it will be in the morning or afternoon.

Temporary Heat Image

Temporary heat use on construction sites

Make sure you understand what permits are required and what you need to do t​o ensure the safety of employees and neighbours while using temporary heat.

  • Permits are required for propane, natural gas, and heater installations on construction sites. A City of Calgary Safety Codes Officer will review the site and ensure the conditions are safe.
  • When you rent a construction heater for a job site, you are responsible for making sure all equipment is approved and certified, and that it is set up, maintained and used properly.
  • Propane tanks, cylinders and hoses must be protected from vehicles and moving equipment by approved barriers.
  • Propane cylinders must remain upright at all times and moved by using designated equipment and methods.
  • Placement of propane tanks and cylinders must comply with clearance requirements from doors or windows, property lines, and sources of ignition.

Find out more information and watch the Safety Codes Council video on proper handling of temporary heat.

Permit types

​Gas permits ​Required for
Gas permit installing, altering or adding to a gas system.
Furnace replacement permit ​HVAC contractors doing furnace replacements.
Temporary gas permit ​propane, natural gas and heater installations on construction sites
Meter relocate permit ​gas meter relocations
​Plumbing permits ​Required for
Plumbing permit ​installing, altering or adding to a plumbing system.
Hydronic permit installing, altering or adding to a hydronic heating system.
Private sewage permit ​undertaking a private sewage disposal system.
CCCD permit ​installing or replacing a cross connection control device.
Solar thermal permit ​a solar hot water system installation.
Water reuse permit ​installing a water reuse system.
​Fireplace permits ​Required for
Gas fireplace installation permit ​installing a fireplace insert. It does not include the gas connection.
It may be applied for by a gas fireplace installer.
Homeowner’s fireplace installation permit a homeowner may apply for this permit if he or she lives in the home and will be installing the fireplace themselves.


Homeowner's plumbing permits – What you need to know. Some common answers to frequent questions in regards to homeowners plumbing permits. 

Call before you dig - Most Alberta communiti​es and industries are serviced by a complex network of underground facilities. Before you dig or disturb the ground, find out what is buried below at no charge, through the one-call system

Homeowner permits and contractor tips - Considering a home renovation or improvement project? Find out what permits are required and have us inspect that work for safety.

Building and trade permit fee schedule – A summary of building and trade permits for convenience only. For official fees, reference the Calgary Building Permit Bylaw 64M94, Electrical Permit Bylaw 46M2014, and Safety Codes Permit Fee Bylaw 63M94. 

Atco Gas regulations – Building or renovating a garage? Read more on provincial natural gas regulations, gas line locating and relocating your natural gas service line. 

Estimate your homeowner trade permit fees - A tool to estimate trade permit fees. Fees are subject to change at any time and are increased annually on January 1. Any fee estimate done before January 1 will not be correct if the permit is pulled on, or after, January 1.

Cross Connection Control Program - A joint effort by a variety of groups and professionals to reduce water contamination risks in water infrastructure where a link between our drinking water system and non-potable water is located.

Low water use fixture bylaw - As of Aug. 1, 2005, the Water Utility Bylaw requires all new homes and commercial construction, including renovations that require a plumbing permit, to have low water use fixtures in place.  

Bulletins and advisories​

For clarification on the application of the various code requirements, please view the plumb​ing and gas building regulation bulletins and advisories.

Permit applications