Community Cleanups - Items we accept
This years Community Cleanups has been announced.
What items are accepted at the Community Cleanups?
- Accepted items include (but are not limited to) furniture (desks, chairs, sofas, old mattresses, etc.), toilets, and recalled or broken recreational products.
We commonly see items such as:
- Furniture (mattresses, sofas, chairs, desks, dressers, etc.)
- Broken recreational items (old treadmills)
- Lumber from old fences and decks
- Weird items: garden gnome collection, broken grandfather clock, taxidermy items
What are some of the restricted items that the Cleanups do not take?
- Common restricted items include barbecues, lawnmowers, household chemicals and large appliances. We DO NOT accept these.
- Not all items can be accepted at Community Cleanups as they cannot go in the garbage truck to be disposed of. Garbage trucks will not accept:
- car batteries
- glass (window panes, glass table tops, etc.)
- household appliances with freon (refrigerator, freezer)
- liquids (cooking oil)
- household hazardous waste (propane tanks, paint)
- automobile/cleaning/healthcare/gardening chemicals
- railway ties
- sod or dirt
- Check with your Community Association in advance of the event as they MAY bring in other vendors to receive items not accepted by City trucks.
- Household hazardous waste materials can be brought directly to a household hazardous waste drop-off location.
Why is organics/yard waste removal not being offered this year?
Since the introduction of the green cart program, the organics truck is utilized less each year during the Community Cleanup events. This shows that Calgarians are adopting a year-round approach to getting rid of organic waste.
Are hazardous waste materials accepted at Community Cleanups?
Household hazardous waste is not accepted (propane tanks and paint, for example) but these materials can be brought directly to a household hazardous waste drop-off location. Please check calgary.ca for more information on drop off locations.
Community Recycling Depots
Items for recycling can be taken to your local Community Recycling depot. Please check our community recycling depot page for a location near you.
Not sure what to do with an item?
Visit calgary.ca/whatgoeswhere to find the right recycling and disposal options for your unwanted items.
For more tips on the use of green bins or larger items that cannot fit into your green bin please refer to: Using your green cart (calgary.ca).