Community Cleanups - Items we accept
Our 2021 Community Cleanups have been announced. See the schedule.
Items garbage trucks will not accept
Our garbage trucks will not accept the following items:
- Car batteries
- Glass (e.g. window panes, glass table tops)
- Household appliances with Freon (e.g. refrigerators, freezers)
- Liquids (e.g. cooking oils)
- Large metal items (e.g. lawnmowers, barbeques)
- Railway ties
- Sod or dirt
- Household hazardous waste including
- Propane tanks
- Automobile, cleaning, healthcare, and gardening chemicals
Household hazardous waste materials can be brought directly to a household hazardous waste drop-off location.
Items for recycling
Some cleanups may accept additional items for recycling. They may also organize a "free store" where you can drop off and/or select items for donations - free of charge. Check your community association website for details. These items include:
- Baby care seats
- Cell phones and cell phone batteries
- Paper shredding
- Home appliances (free store item)
- Home electronics
- Large pieces of furniture
- Scrap metal (e.g. barbeques, lawnmowers, and filing cabinets)
Community Recycling Depots
Items for recycling can be taken to your local Community Recycling depot. Please check our community recycling depot page for a location near you.
Not sure what to do with an item?
Visit calgary.ca/whatgoeswhere to find the right recycling and disposal options for your unwanted items.
Leaves, branches, plants, grass clippings and other yard waste (excluding sod) will be accepted at Community Cleanup events for composting. Yard waste must be separate from other items.
All of the organic materials we collect at community cleanups will be taken to one of The City's composting facilities.