Accommodations and services for accessibility
We’re committed to meeting the diverse needs of Calgarians. To accommodate everyone, we offer a wide range of accessible services so you can participate in City services, programs and events.
How to request ASL, captioning and other alternative communications services
Please contact 311 to request ASL, captioning, or alternate communication formats or to inquire about the accessibility of an event or meeting. You can also use the 311 Calgary app to submit requests via your smart phone.
Please provide the following information:
- Your name
- Your organization (if applicable)
- Event the service is needed for
- Date, time and location of that event
- Number of people attending who will require the service
Please provide at least two weeks notice when requesting services.
- Captioning is available during all Council meetings.
- Assistive Listening Devices are also available at all City Council Meetings and all Committees Meetings held in the Engineering Traditions Committee Room.
- Please contact Security in the Council Chamber if you require an assisted listening device.
American Sign Language
Contact 311 online if you require an ASL interpreter to attend a City meeting or event.
ASL interpreters can be booked for public meetings and events. ASL (American Sign Language) is the primary sign language used in Canada and the United States.
Contact 311 online if you require captioning to attend a City meeting or event.
Captioning is effective for the deaf or hard of hearing, but also for people with certain types of learning disabilities and individuals whose first language is not English.
Contact 311 online to ask if there’s a relief area for your guide dog so you can participate in a City event or meeting.
Guide dogs are welcome in public spaces. Relief areas are available near most facilities and City buildings.
We’re committed to making our website accessible to all Calgarians regardless of technology or ability and to ensure it displays correctly in current browsers and is compatible across different assistive technologies.
Feel free to ask us any questions or share your suggestions on how we can improve the accessibility of our website.