Volunteering for the Pathway and River Cleanup
The Pathway and River Cleanup is an annual event involving thousands of volunteers who generously donate their time to help clean up Calgary.
The 2022 Pathway and River Cleanup took place May 13-15, 2022.
Registration for the 2022 Pathway and River Cleanup has now closed for 2022.
You can join the conversation on cleanup day by searching #yyccleans
To volunteer for the Pathway and River Cleanup, you must be:
- 12 years or older
- Accompanied by a parent or guardian (if you're between 12 and 17 years old)
- Physically fit
- Willing to get dirty
- Able to commit to three hours of clean up on one of the three event days
All Pathway and River Cleanup volunteers must be registered.
To register as a volunteer, please review the following:
- You are encouraged to register as a group (minimum 10 people) with a designated leader. If you do not have a group, you will have a choice of locations to join a team lead by Calgary Parks staff.
- Volunteers may request a specific cleanup location at the time of registration. We will do our best to accommodate specific location requests, but cannot guarantee preferred placement.
- If you do not have a preferred cleanup location, one will be assigned to you.
Each group must have a designated leader. New group leaders are required to attend a one-hour, on-line orientation session. Returning group leaders must attend the orientation session every three years, but must complete annual online training.
Group leaders will be responsible for:
- Recording and submitting member names and signatures for insurance purposes (forms must be submitted by event day).
- Conducting a group member orientation session prior to event day to communicate event logistics and safety procedures.
- Ensuring the safe and effective cleanup of the designated cleanup area.
The personal safety of our volunteers is top priority. Risks will be minimized as much as possible. However, volunteers may come in contact with the following:
- Tripping hazards
- Unstable ground or rocky shorelines
- Heavy or bulky items
- Sharp items (e.g. glass, metal, discarded needles)
- Hazardous materials
- Illegal campsites
Volunteers will receive safety information and training prior to event day.
If you have any questions about volunteering for the Pathway and River Cleanup, please contact 311.