Even during these trying times, it is important to help keep our communities clean and healthy. The City of Calgary encourages you to tidy up a small green space or complete a litter cleanup while you are on your daily walks, and we can help. Our free "The Litter Cleanup Kits" (TLC Kits) have all the supplies you’ll need.
Each kit contains gloves and garbage bags for up to 10 cleanups, along with helpful cleanup tips. Please note, at this time, we will provide one TLC kit per household.
As TLC Kits are no longer available at City facilities, kits will be available for delivery. Fill in the survey below, and a TLC kit will be delivered to your door.
Tell us about your cleanup
After your cleanup, please complete this form to tell us more about your cleanup.
Tips for a successful day
Please follow these guidelines. The health, safety and well-being of our citizens is of top priority. We encourage all to do the following:
- Wash your hands frequently: Use hand sanitizer when you can’t wash your hands with soap and warm water. We encourage you to do this at the beginning and end of a litter cleanup at minimum.
- Respect physical distancing: Cleanups are NOT intended as a group initiative. The TLC kits are for individual/family use. Maintain physical distancing of 2 meters from others.
- Catch your germs: Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze by using the inside of your elbow or your shoulder.
- Avoid touching your face: Keep your hands away from your eyes, ears, nose and mouth while performing this activity.
- DO NOT pick up face masks, or gloves.
- Stay home if you are feeling sick: If you are experiencing, fever, cough, difficulty breathing or other flu like symptoms, stay home and away from others. If you have questions or concerns about your health contact Health Link 811.
Before your cleanup
- Dress appropriately for the weather.
- Wear sturdy, closed-toed footwear.
- Bring a hat, sunscreen, water and insect repellent.
- Review the layout of your cleanup area.
- Always work with a partner and maintain physical distancing of 2 meters from others.
- Wear protective gloves at all times.
- Do not touch unknown items, syringes, glass or other sharp objects. Contact 311 to report their location.
- Do not compress garbage or reach into containers with hands or feet.
- Leave natural materials behind (leaves, deadwood, bones, etc).
- Do not wade into bodies of water to retrieve items.
- If working near a pathway, be careful of cyclists, runners and walkers.
- Do not remove large items (bikes, tires, sleeping bags, etc). Contact 311 to report their location.
- Do not enter illegal camps. Contact 311 to report their location.
- Take breaks. Drink water and wash or sanitize your hands before having a snack.
- Have fun!
After your cleanup
- Place bags beside existing City of Calgary garbage cans, if possible, or group bags together and place them one metre off a paved (asphalt) pathway for pick up by City staff.
- Call 311 to report the location of your bags or return to this page and complete the form above.
- The information below instructs the proper way to remove gloves: