Volunteer in parks
Calgary parks provide us all with spaces to connect with nature, the community, and our history. We invite you to partner with us to take care of parks, green spaces, playgrounds, pathways, trees, and natural areas; conduct ecological research; or provide park users with information.
We encourage volunteers of all backgrounds, abilities and experience to contribute. A screening policy is in place for all potential volunteers. This may include police information checks. Once accepted, volunteers receive orientation, training, and other support.
A huge thank you to the thousands of Parks volunteers! Without you our parks would not be the wonderful, vibrant places they are.
Individual Volunteers – Parks Stewards and Hosts
- Volunteers greet park visitors and answer questions about resident plants and animals, as well as the cultural history of the area, and can direct visitors to other park resources and information.
- They may conduct ecological research to contribute data to an international ornithological resource network and engage with visitors to provide park users with opportunities to learn and develop bird sighting and identification skills.
- Minimum of six, 3-hour shifts per year at Inglewood Bird Sanctuary, expanding to other parks in the future.
- Registration for Parks Stewards and Hosts is now closed for the season.
- Groups make short commitments to keep park spaces clean.
- Activities include the annual Pathway and River Cleanup and The Litter Cleanup (TLC) Kit.
- We are also designated as a Clean Shoreline Community. Our partnership with the Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup helps us engage more local volunteers to minimize our impact on the environment and keep it healthy.
- Registration for the Pathway and River Cleanup is now closed for 2022.
Thanks to presenting sponsor, ConocoPhillips Canada, for their continued support of environmental initiatives that help keep our communities clean.
- The City of Calgary is excited to announce the continuation of the Adopt-a-Park Program. This program provides opportunities for you, as a proud Calgarian, to volunteer as a steward in your local parks or greenspaces.
- Join us to learning more about available opportunities, such as shrub bed and playground general maintenance and grooming or litter cleanups, and how you can get involved.
- Stewardship is everyone’s responsibility and you can make a difference in maintaining the health, beauty and biodiversity of your local natural surroundings.
- Calgary Parks are awaiting the chance to work with you to ensure our parks continue to thrive for years to come!
If you’re interested in becoming an Adopt-a-Park volunteer, please follow this link for more information and to register! Individual sign up – or call 311.
Registration is now closed. Please check back in the spring of 2023 to register.
- Looking for a group volunteer project for your company or organization? Not afraid to get dirty? Join the Parks Environmental Education team on a Green Initiative project
- Help us to restore habitat and beautify parks and green spaces in Calgary. Opportunities include; tree and shrub planting, tree wiring, invasive species weed pulls, painting projects, and more
- These group projects are seasonal (May - October) and typically require a 3 - 4 hour commitment
- Email us about your group sign up
- Adopt-a-Rink is a winter volunteer program through which volunteers flood and maintain community pleasure skating rinks throughout Calgary
- The deadline for new rink proposals for the 2021/22 season is October 1, 2022